Client and Server VPN question

Reaction score
We have an inbound VPN and I recently bought a subscription to PIA for an outbound VPN. I wanted most traffic to use the outbound PIA VPN but when I configured that, my inbound VPN would not resolve, obviously, to the PIA IP address.

I configured our UDM Pro to use the PIA outbound VPN.

We have a domain name that updates to our public WAN IP from our Internet provider. PIA offers the ability to purchase a static IP. If I pointed our domain to the PIA IP would this allow us to access our computers and BI?

Thanks in advance.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
We have an inbound VPN and I recently bought a subscription to PIA for an outbound VPN. I wanted most traffic to use the outbound PIA VPN but when I configured that, my inbound VPN would not resolve, obviously, to the PIA IP address.

I configured our UDM Pro to use the PIA outbound VPN.

We have a domain name that updates to our public WAN IP from our Internet provider. PIA offers the ability to purchase a static IP. If I pointed our domain to the PIA IP would this allow us to access our computers and BI?

Thanks in advance.
I dont know the answer to your question, but why would you want the folks at PIA to have access to your data rather than your ISP. Moreover you need to pay and take a speed hit.

Reaction score
I dont know the answer to your question, but why would you want the folks at PIA to have access to your data rather than your ISP. Moreover you need to pay and take a speed hit.
My ISP is most assuredly selling my surfing habits even though I’ve taken steps to stay away from Google et al by using 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9 for my DNS and using Duck duck go as our browsers.

PIA states that they don’t keep logs so my intent is to minimize my Internet footprint.

Speed is not really an issue with 1 gigabyte up and down. There is a small hit but, as I wrote, I’m trying to become as invisible as I can in this era of everyone knowing what we are doing.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My ISP is most assuredly selling my surfing habits even though I’ve taken steps to stay away from Google et al by using 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9 for my DNS and using Duck duck go as our browsers.

PIA states that they don’t keep logs so my intent is to minimize my Internet footprint.

Speed is not really an issue with 1 gigabyte up and down. There is a small hit but, as I wrote, I’m trying to become as invisible as I can in this era of everyone knowing what we are doing.
What makes you think they are selling it? Most large ISP's dont do that or at least dont sell personalized data. You are likely just being tracked by cookies.
PIA could state anything they want...but you are trusting a tiny company with no real accountability with your data. My ISP optimum also says they dont sell my data. Why would I trust PIA over optimum?

Reaction score
I’m not a computer guru but want to try my best to be as invisible as possible. And, yes, any company can say they don’t track our data, like Duck duck go who was found to be selling data.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not a computer guru but want to try my best to be as invisible as possible. And, yes, any company can say they don’t track our data, like Duck duck go who was found to be selling data.
My point is that you are just wasting your money and possibly taking a greater risk of your data being shared. But knock yourself out.