Close call!

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thursday we had a severe thunderstorm go through the area. There was an instantaneous response to one close lighting hit at about 4pm - our power went out immediately. It came back on at 10pm.

The next day the power went off again for about 3 hours. I just found out this morning why, the blue circle is where we are. Unlike the Midwest, tornadoes are not a regular thing here in CT.

1598710463414.png

Here is the video from the storm that hit Thursday. The clip stops suddenly as the power fails.

Severe Storm

AND AN UPDATE

I just found out that the tornado hit on Thursday, not Friday. This video clip is actually from the edge of the storm :(
The news reports I read this morning weren't exactly correct. The pix I posted above should have been dated. It was in a story published today but its from Friday, doh!

Last edited:

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks like that was an ups, or maybe needed an UPS. :D

A Tornado can strike anywhere, but are way more likely in the south and Midwest.
Around here we are use to it. I have a picture of me with two tornado's in the background
somewhere around here. Hail, high wind, and thunderstorms come along with them.
We get use to them and add power backup (UPS) to anything critical and surge protection
to the rest.

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looks like that was an ups, or maybe needed an UPS. :D

A Tornado can strike anywhere, but are way more likely in the south and Midwest.
Around here we are use to it. I have a picture of me with two tornado's in the background
somewhere around here. Hail, high wind, and thunderstorms come along with them.
We get use to them and add power backup (UPS) to anything critical and surge protection
to the rest.
Good points OT. I do have UPS' on everything 'important' :) My NAS', router, cable modem and primary computer. The cameras haven't made it to the 'important' level yet :) I do have a generator that runs the whole house. It's a manual changeover and I usually wait 15 minutes or so but with the way the lightning hit and the power failed immediately I was pretty sure it was going to be a while.

btw, speaking of OK and tornadoes . . . I was on one of my long distance mc rides several years ago in OK, iirc it was on RT40. A wicked looking storm came up. Really black and ugly. The winds got so strong I had to pull into the breakdown lane and was only able to ride at about 10mph with the bike leaned over at an impossible angle. I finally made it to an exit. Pulled off and went under the overpass where 6 or 8 cars / pickups were already parked. I laid the bike down and climbed up the embankment to the underside of the roadway above where most of the drivers were huddled.
Nasty

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
btw, speaking of OK and tornadoes . . . I was on one of my long distance mc rides several years ago in OK, iirc it was on RT40. A wicked looking storm came up. Really black and ugly. The winds got so strong I had to pull into the breakdown lane and was only able to ride at about 10mph with the bike leaned over at an impossible angle. I finally made it to an exit. Pulled off and went under the overpass where 6 or 8 cars / pickups were already parked. I laid the bike down and climbed up the embankment to the underside of the roadway above where most of the drivers were huddled.
Nasty
We have some good storms around here. It's hard on a mc or roadster to find a spot out of the rain. And you figure out really quick what leathers will do in a rain storm! o_O
Just an FYI, it not the best place under an overpass. A lot of people have expired there in a tornado. The wind blows under creating a vortex strong enough you can't hang on. Of course staying in a vehicle is just as bad, they can be tossed around like toys. Just be aware, and find shelter underground, or inside a sturdy building. I spent many years spotting them, and enjoyed every one I seen! Here is a base ball size hail. You don't want to be under one of these.

Attachments