colorized video

camuse16

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Foscam F19821W V2 that recently started displaying colorized video. It is hardwired, and was working fine till a couple of weeks ago. I am using Blue Iris but have the same image through a browser as well. I am guessing that the camera is toast.. Thanks for any suggestions..

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If "same image through a browser" means it looks that way in the Foscam's web interface, then you are correct, and the camera is toast. When you buy a replacement, look for Dahua or Hikvision brands.

camuse16

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, same through the foscam's web interface.. If he camera is pointed towards the sky (bright light), the image becomes clear again (normal image), without any colorization. As soon as the camera looks to a darker area, the colorization comes back.

It is time to upgrade.. All of the cameras I have right now are Foscam's, all about 5 yrs old with the exception of a R2. I have been reading that the Dahua are ok but problems with changing the ip address on them, getting IR lights to come on through Blue iris, etc. as well as issues with upgrading firmware. I guess at this point I just need to do some more reading to get familiar with what's out there now, and if those problems global or localized.. Thanks BP2008.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been reading that the Dahua are ok but problems with changing the ip address on them, getting IR lights to come on through Blue iris, etc. as well as issues with upgrading firmware.
There is no issue changing the ip on dahua cameras. You can toggle ir light if you wish via blue iris, but why?
If you purchase from an authorized vendor you will get firmware updates, but again, if its working out of the box, why upgrade?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I had trouble getting a Dahua camera to take a 192.168.0.X address (192.168.1.X worked fine), but this was years ago and solved with a firmware update. I've had many Dahua cameras since then without issues.

It is true that you can't find firmware for some Dahua cameras. Specifically Chinese region models that have been hacked to English. I've heard of them losing their English language hack and reverting to Chinese, too, though it has never happened to me.

I can't say much about having Blue Iris control the IR lights, except to say I don't know why anyone would want to. I've never had a camera that wasn't able to automatically control its own IR perfectly.

camuse16

n3wb
Reaction score
There is no issue changing the ip on dahua cameras. You can toggle ir light if you wish via blue iris, but why?
If you purchase from an authorized vendor you will get firmware updates, but again, if its working out of the box, why upgrade?
At times I turn the IR lights off in the evening/overnight when we get snow. I get nothing but reflection.. Its a nice feature to turn them off via blue iris vs. the cameras software through a web browser. If I turn them off I can see often times with the lights from the garage, but they are not bright enough to turn the ir lights off.. I guess i am use to being able to do it now, and would like to be able to do it if I choose to without changing outside lights. Good to know they do work as you mentioned.

I agree in terms of the upgrades. The only reason I would is in the event there were extra features offered that I may be interested in, but not a deal breaker.. How about the Hikvision cameras, are they also fully functional with Blue Iris in terms of the IR lights and pan and tilt? IF you were buying, what would you choose based on what looks to be a lot of experience.. I have cameras inside that are pan and tilt and outside that are stationary but may look into a pan tilt outside as well to eliminate a camera or two. I have one foscam 1080 camera (R2) that is great but all the others are 720 so I am looking at switching them out one at a time as I am not familiar with any other brands other from foscam at this point.. As I mentioned I guess I have to do some more reading. Thanks for the reply.

camuse16

n3wb
Reaction score
I had trouble getting a Dahua camera to take a 192.168.0.X address (192.168.1.X worked fine), but this was years ago and solved with a firmware update. I've had many Dahua cameras since then without issues.

It is true that you can't find firmware for some Dahua cameras. Specifically Chinese region models that have been hacked to English. I've heard of them losing their English language hack and reverting to Chinese, too, though it has never happened to me.

I can't say much about having Blue Iris control the IR lights, except to say I don't know why anyone would want to. I've never had a camera that wasn't able to automatically control its own IR perfectly.
Thanks BP2008. Is the set up for the cameras (both Hikvision and Dahua) similar or the same as the foscam's? Is there a instruction set somewhere on setting them up? I have read some negative reviews for them not having any English instructions. I have my cameras port forwarded at the moment and may choose to that that with the replacements or set up a server/client from blue iris. I realize the latter may be more secure. Any comments on how the on board motion settings work in the Hikivision and Dahua? Would you purchase one over the other for this feature in terms of motion detection and the ability to take a few photos and email them upon motion? I am looking at some replacements for a friend to that uses and travels with a laptop with no main CPU at home to act as a server.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@camuse16, BlueIris dont turn the IR On/Off directly.. it switches the camera's day/night profiles.. if both are setup identically it wont force the IR on or Off.. You'd have to ensure your day mode is forced color and night mode is forced black and white.. then if you want to turn them off at night its going to switch to color mode.. not ideal, but I believe this is how it works for every camera via BluIris.

@bp2008, thanks to @cor35vet we have multi-language firmware for most of the 4MP Chinese region models.. and personally I have converted Chinese firmware back to english, so these issues are slowly becoming a thing of the past.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks BP2008. Is the set up for the cameras (both Hikvision and Dahua) similar or the same as the foscam's? Is there a instruction set somewhere on setting them up? I have read some negative reviews for them not having any English instructions. I have my cameras port forwarded at the moment and may choose to that that with the replacements or set up a server/client from blue iris. I realize the latter may be more secure. Any comments on how the on board motion settings work in the Hikivision and Dahua? Would you purchase one over the other for this feature in terms of motion detection and the ability to take a few photos and email them upon motion? I am looking at some replacements for a friend to that uses and travels with a laptop with no main CPU at home to act as a server.

English manuals and Firmware: http://dahuawiki.com/IPCamera

The Motion Detection works just fine, trust us.. the shittiest Dahua is going to be an order of magnitude better than the best Foscam..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@camuse16, BlueIris dont turn the IR On/Off directly.. it switches the camera's day/night profiles.. if both are setup identically it wont force the IR on or Off.. You'd have to ensure your day mode is forced color and night mode is forced black and white.. then if you want to turn them off at night its going to switch to color mode.. not ideal, but I believe this is how it works for every camera via BluIris.
It did the same for the op's foscam as that camera does not even have the option to disable ir only.

camuse16

n3wb
Reaction score

@bp2008, thanks to @cor35vet we have multi-language firmware for most of the 4MP Chinese region models.. and personally I have converted Chinese firmware back to english, so these issues are slowly becoming a thing of the past.
Thanks for the manual nayr. I'll have a read though it. All valuable information-Thanks again. I know with my foscam's the lights on the camera actually turn off and the ir cut filter moves back when triggered in Blue Iris which is the same (or appears to do the same) as when they are turned off in the foscam's web interface.. Thanks for the comments on the motion detection.. Foscam's are basically non existent. I believe anything I buy will be a leap ahead of what I have now.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
many dahua's let you operate IR independently of IR cut filter's positioning (for use with external IR), so if you dont set them up right the behavior wont be the same.. I suspect thats the source of the 'problems' you were reading about.. just a configuration problem; that is a common problem with Dahuas and Hikvisions.. with so many configuration options present, its really easy to put it in a bad state and get unexpected behavior.. but a reset to defaults and re-config fixes it 9 times out of 10.

camuse16

n3wb
Reaction score
many dahua's let you operate IR independently of IR cut filter's positioning (for use with external IR), so if you dont set them up right the behavior wont be the same.. I suspect thats the source of the 'problems' you were reading about.. just a configuration problem; that is a common problem with Dahuas and Hikvisions.. with so many configuration options present, its really easy to put it in a bad state and get unexpected behavior.. but a reset to defaults and re-config fixes it 9 times out of 10.
Again, Thanks nayr. That is a great option that I was not aware of. I have been looking at external IR's that can be used in coordination with just a cameras ir filter. Of course the foscam's have to be modified for that to work.. I guess it's time to start narrowing down to a camera/manufacturer that I like.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
look for SmartIR in the spec sheet if thats something you want