Complete camera setup for non tech person

Jamson

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello, what would be recommended for someone that wants to have camera setup for outside there home. It is for a older couple that goes away for longer periods during different times of the year. This is not for me as I have cameras with blue iris. Having a PC run for them would be to much for them to deal with. I would be the helping to setup it for them. At first I was thinking nest or some other battery wifi camera but the reviews aren't great for longer term as the battery needs to be charged. House is a 1 story so wouldn't be to bad I assume to pull cable. They don't want anything high end, just something to check in. Are there any systems you guys can recommend. Thanks.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If they are away a lot I would recommend starting with a quality wired alarm system, open door sensors, break glass sensors, open window sensors, fire sensors, very loud sirens inside and out. The system needs to be monitored 24 /7/365. I installed my own alarm system and have had a local company monitor it. I do not recommend all in one install and monitoring companies.

I currently have 16 camera. Half are out side and the other half in side. Cameras are for after the fact, need to know who did it.

1) the front door needs three cameras, one doorbell camera, one pointing at the package drop area, one pointing back to the front door.
2) the garage entrance Needs two cameras pointing out mounted no higher than the top of the garage door. for door checkers
3) the inside of the garage need two cameras one point at the garage door and one point at the house entrance
4) each entrance to the house must be covered by a camera.
5) each camera must be covered by another camera, If i can destroy a camera it must be covered, recorded by another camera.
6) in my house all public areas inside are covered, kitchen, living room, dining room, halls, game room, den
7) all outside doors are covered by a camera inside, pointing out.

I am 73 years old. I use blue iris.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I have to agree that some sort of cloud based solution is going to be the easiest in this situation. Google Nest, Ring, Arlo, Wyze, etc are all potential solutions. This situation is the "bread and butter" of those systems - ie people that really don't care about quality and just want something that is simple to install and simple to use to "check in and observe" once in a while. They just need to understand that it is not going to provide one ounce of security (as SouthernYankee mentioned) and even if there is an "incident" at the house, the cameras will pretty much be useless in identifying a subject. As long as they are ok with simple "observe" type goals, that type of system should work fine.

Jamson

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. They currently have a alarm that is monitored 24/7. Does anyone have experience with Google,ring or any other system that they would recommend. It's more just to check in. Not for security. Thanks