Constant and motion rec

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What is everyones opinion on having a dvr/nvr recording at low fps at constant recording and higher fps at motion simultaneously? This way, the low fps at constant does
not eat up the HDD that much, but guarantees that absolutely nothing is missed and if there is motion, the fps kick up to normal?

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Any recorder can do that as far as I know. You go into schedule or recording and click regular and motion. Than you set the FPS for regular recording and FPS for motion. You can even have certain times of day set to motion and other times set to regular if you want.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Any recorder can do that as far as I know. You go into schedule or recording and click regular and motion. Than you set the FPS for regular recording and FPS for motion. You can even have certain times of day set to motion and other times set to regular if you want.
I knew you could do schedules but I never saw an option to change the encoding rates during certain times of the day.

n4gry

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You learn something new every day. Thanks! I was reading some where that you use DaHua NVR's. Can you tell me if the DaHua can detect Hikvision cameras and have the Motion detect work? Is there a trick I need to know?

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I knew you could do schedules but I never saw an option to change the encoding rates during certain times of the day.
You can't change encoding rates during certain times of day. You can have it record motion or constant at different times of day. Than you can have constant record a certain FPS and bit rate, and motion at a different FPS and bit rate.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You learn something new every day. Thanks! I was reading some where that you use DaHua NVR's. Can you tell me if the DaHua can detect Hikvision cameras and have the Motion detect work? Is there a trick I need to know?
I've never tried hikvision IP cameras so I wouldn't know for sure. Maybe someone else has done that with success though. I just like Dahua because I know it well and used to it. I also like the fact that you can view more than one site at a time on one screen in PSS and on mobile devices.

n4gry

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Getting old and the memory is not what it once was... I will go back and see if I can find out who was doing that. Thanks Vector 18

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
It's a great idea on paper, but just make sure the file doesn't get whacked in any way when the fps jumps up. I seemed to remember hearing that can happen. In fact schedule it out and post an example. I'd love to see the results of it.

Bazooka302

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm using Hikvision DS-2CD3332-I cameras with a Dahua NVR-5216. Cameras are detected using Onvif selected as the brand, and motion detection recording is working, though I can't tell you definitively that it's using the camera motion or the NVR motion detection. I think it's using the camera motion because I read about it elsewhere. Cameras have 5.1 version firmware which I think makes a difference.

n4gry

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Bazooka302... That is exactly what I needed to know. Now I need to look at the DaHua NVR-5216 a lot closer!

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a few 5216's in my stock right now, that's all I've been using lately. I did just order the 7216 just to try it out. It's actually cheaper than the 5216 because it does not record 5mp like the 5216, but it does have a higher max bit rate which I like especially when installing 16 cameras.

n4gry

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds like an idea! The 7216 looks good except for it not having 5MP part... LOL Not that I have a 5MP camera...

n4gry

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have two cameras on order, Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW 3MP, but for some reason they have frozen my order for 15 days. Why I dunno. I just hope I don't loose my money. (China)

But when I get the NVR maybe I can get some of my old cameras to work with it. I have a Pelco IXE20DN with a 15-50mm lens that I use as a LPR covering the driveway and it is a nice camera. I guess I could see if the IQinVision series 3 will work with it. If so I have a 5-50mm lens I could put on that.

That's right I will be like a kid with a new toy!! :D

n4gry

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got the new NVR 5216 yesterday and just played with it to see if I could get my "OLD" cameras to work on it. I now have 5 cameras (The Pelco stopped working) and of the 5 the NVR could detect 1 (one). I expected that to be my AXIS but it wasn't. With a little prompting the AXIS M1031W showed up and now we have three left. So I went to the general dropdown and manually configured the three cameras without a problem. :D This is a start and I am by no means done but extremely happy none the less.

View attachment 119

Thanks vector18 for everything!!

Last edited by a moderator:

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not a problem, keep us updated with your progress.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What is everyones opinion on having a dvr/nvr recording at low fps at constant recording and higher fps at motion simultaneously? This way, the low fps at constant does
not eat up the HDD that much, but guarantees that absolutely nothing is missed and if there is motion, the fps kick up to normal?
+1 for this feature. In the meantime, might you duplicate camera(s) and have one record constant at low fps, the other record only motion at higher fps?

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
By setting it up the way I did, is sort of the same thing. But I do see what your saying, maybe it would be easier to playback if two channels had the same camera one on constant and one as motion.

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Depending on the model and firmware of the Dahua NVR you may or may not get motion detection. For example, the 3000 series wasn't ever capable from what I've tested. Once they came out with the 5000 Series I tested with a firmware dated 7-4-2013 and it worked great. A few firmware updates later and motion is still working like a champ with Hikvision cameras.