Cops Caught Disabling or Covering Surveillance Cameras | Is that Legal?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Civil Rights Lawyer

I came across some recent footage of police officers covering, concealing, or otherwise redirecting, a home’s surveillance cameras. When this hit the interwebs, it of course immediately sparked discussion. Police officers defended the footage, claiming officer safety reasons to do this, with some claiming that they always do this as a matter of policy. Is this legal? Is this a Fourth Amendment violation? Is it a First Amendment violation? Is this a crime?

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
It's illegal on my farm. :cool: It would be almost impossible for them to find all the cameras looking at them, as there are multiples of them looking at them from different angles and from different spots. Really, it' would be tough for them to even sneak up on the house, as I would know they were there almost 1000' before they could even get a clear view of my house, which once they got there, they would quickly see my big Hik 30x optical PTZ staring them down and following their every movement. Not to mention the Hik 25x PTZ mounted under the carport that saw them 1/4 mile off coming down the farm lane. You don't notice that one until you get under the carport. They would have to shoot my cameras out, as they are just out of reach in the carport @10' and are mounted on a isolated balcony deck on the side of the house, about 13' off the sloping hill. The back yard has spotter cams that trigger the PTZ's to swing around. There is no vehicle access to the back of the house without driving down the hill in the front yard and then going through the side yard. 2 cameras would have been tracking those movements the whole time. But I do need more cameras! I got a blind spot under my balcony deck on the side of the hill. I can see something or someone going under it, I just cant see anything when they finally get under it......but I'll have that problem fixed before winter...... I won't discuss the cameras I have mounted on the trees inside of wooden enclosures in my woods.....

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I support LEO and always have...we need them...but we don't need sworn law officers that carry firearms who are also acting as self-appointed legal experts, especially in civil rights and/or Constitutional matters. We also don't need any similarly inclined local DA's, mayors, sheriffs and police chiefs that direct such actions.

Some of these small town, big-fish-in-a-little-pond types described above need to be slapped with legal paperwork from an out of the area lawyer that knows the law and isn't kin to anyone involved.

Hit 'em in the purse where it hurts and remind everyone in town next election cycle.

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The Civil Rights Lawyer

I came across some recent footage of police officers covering, concealing, or otherwise redirecting, a home’s surveillance cameras. When this hit the interwebs, it of course immediately sparked discussion. Police officers defended the footage, claiming officer safety reasons to do this, with some claiming that they always do this as a matter of policy. Is this legal? Is this a Fourth Amendment violation? Is it a First Amendment violation? Is this a crime?

Another example of why audio is a must on all cameras. I don’t see how this can be legal in any scenario when on private property

jmltech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If they have a no-knock search warrant - legal
If they have a search warrant that provides seizure of video or ‘electronic devices - most likely legal
No warrant and is just a knock and talk - 4th amendment violation. Of course, good luck in getting any ‘local’ attorney to take the case

BenYoyo

n3wb
Reaction score
It raises concerns about privacy and the thin line between officer safety and individual rights.

Sawirawi

n3wb
Reaction score
It's really concerning to witness police tampering with surveillance cameras. I'm curious if there are specific legal guidelines or precedents that address this issue. Speaking of law, I'm seeking a lawyer for my whistleblower case. Can you guys advise me on someone? I just checked out https://federal-lawyer.com/whistleblower-lawyers/healthcare/, and they seem nice. Back to the subject, staying informed is crucial in understanding the complexities of these situations. Stay vigilant, everyone!

Last edited: