Crappy footage of a Meteorite and explosion last night, now I need FOVs for the sky...

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, it looks like I need coverage of the sky now...

Just when I thought I was nearing a happy point with my system, people have to go and submit their crappy videos of this meteorite that came down last night.

My neighbors and I all thought it was an explosion. I saw a flash out of my window about 8:47 and thought it was lightning in the distance. 3 minutes later there was a boom so loud it shook the entire house. Unfortunately I don't really have any cameras that were pointed in that direction that would have seen anything. :(

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Hypothetically speaking, sort of an "asking for a friend" scenario.

What would be a good way to get 360 coverage if all one really cared to see was the sky and horizon? Four 2.8mm cameras on a mount on the top of the roof?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would go with a couple of the 180 degree cameras or the 4K/T cameras.

Or use leftover cameras from when you update and repurpose

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Hell, looking at what this guy proposes for a setup, I am way overthinking it...

I was considering the 180 cams, but didn't know how well they would do at night when pointed at the sky without really any additional light. Maybe I will throw my 4K-T outside and point it at the sky and see how well it works.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I guess I also forget that it is a mostly "static" image. Everything is moving so slow that it doesn't need the typical exposure for capturing people.

Maybe I will try to get it set up for the meteor shower tonight.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, I will give those a try.

Are your other Image settings just defaults? Do I need anything special with frame rate?

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
12 or 15 frames etc. The sky will be blue just like daytime with stars.
The hard part is knowing when to look for the streaks. With the help of a network
and their time, the task becomes easy!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I must have missed that too somehow. Very sorry to hear.
Yeah, same here.
I PM'd him in Feb., wondering where he was, he said he was in bad shape, hospice to show up soon.
His wife answered back Mar. 2nd and said he passed away on Feb. 25th.
I offered her my condolences and said how much he would be missed around here. :headbang::confused:

Last edited: