Custom, Waterproof, hooded camera mount

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thinking about making some waterproof camera mount junction boxes.
This is the proof of concept, throw around ideas portion of the build.
Will be made from plate aluminum. I have quite a bit of 1/4” and 1/8th inch aluminum plate. Thinking the boxes would use both thicknesses.
Will be completely tig welded. Faceplate/camera mounting plate will be removable with the camera mounted. Bolts for tighten faceplate accessible with camera in place.

Here are some pictures of my concept box. All comments welcomed, good or bad. See something I should change, speak up. I have never mounted a camera, you guys know more about this than I do. Am I crazy for doing this? Tell me.

Yes, some of the model is made from a pizza box.

465DB224-93FA-4B86-8E2D-A9D81767D395.jpeg79B7128F-FDB2-41AB-83FC-70FC74FD24D9.jpegA45900F6-E2E3-4EE7-9D13-F5849989B474.jpegFE8DC121-17F3-497A-9528-D212C2C6DF86.jpeg172D249E-82C3-42AC-8316-3F0F537D32AF.jpegAF11EF14-900F-4E66-9174-C6885CD8AAEA.jpeg1AEEC350-F9B3-4673-96B4-3164EF3807D4.jpeg

Reaction score
A little much for my likings but it should help protect the camera. Might be a place for wasps and mud daubers to nest is one thought. I went simple, but also just going for a sun shade for a 5241-Z12. Slid it under the factory shade and haven’t had it come out yet. Zip tied one to a turret just to see how it would fit. Did add IR reflection so pulled it off the turret and the Z12 is using external IR. Just a coffee can lid
IMG_0518.jpeg

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What does that lid look like in use?

I'm thinking might be a good place for wasps too, maybe. Depends a lot on location and sunlight.

I won't know if it's too big till I actually build one and paint it to match.
Could always shorten the hood. These would be for wall mounts where there is no roof or cover from above.

Under soffit there is no reason not to use the round box from empire, other than the PIA to install it without access to the cover screws with camera on.

Reaction score
There’s one in this thread. Yours is by far more aesthetically pleasing

I don’t have a picture of the one in use but it gets the job done when the sun is coming up before it’s blocked by the roof line
IMG_0519.jpeg

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
wasn't thinking bullet cam -- That gives me some ideas for my LPR if needed.

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I saw that thread you linked to a few days ago -- thats what got me thinking of a better, or at least different way.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Would it helps keeping out the wasp? The high humidity in this side of the property, for what It looks like rain, are insects flying around the lens reflection. It activate the detection signal during nighttime. Is a cheapie Imou turret.

Attachments

Reaction score
Would it helps keeping out the wasp? The high humidity in this side of the property, for what It looks like rain, are insects flying around the lens reflection. It activate the detection signal during nighttime. Is a cheapie Imou turret.
Not sure what you’re referring to but nothing in this thread will help keep wasps out. As far a motion being set off at night, that is why the camera that has the sun shade has IR turned off and an external emitter close to it. That’s about the only way to mitigate the problem, turn off IR

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's good that you're using cardboard first before you settle for one and start cutting the metal or plastic to finalize.
One of the biggest considerations I see, and your tests may confirm, is trying to avoid IR bounce-back from the underside of the visor at night.
The more the cam points down and the less material extending at the sides I would think the less that possibility.
But I would definitely paint the underside with flat-black paint to help mitigate IR bounce-back.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you considered 3D printing? I recently had a couple PFA137 junctions printed out in ABS and I was very happy with them.

I found a rain shield here:

Google should come up with more if you search 'CCTV cam rain shield STL'.

There will be someone local to you who would print it out.

Reaction score
Have you considered 3D printing? I recently had a couple PFA137 junctions printed out in ABS and I was very happy with them.

I found a rain shield here:

Google should come up with more if you search 'CCTV cam rain shield STL'.

There will be someone local to you who would print it out.
That has a nice look and should be effective in modest rainfall without being too much

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not sure what you’re referring to but nothing in this thread will help keep wasps out. As far a motion being set off at night, that is why the camera that has the sun shade has IR turned off and an external emitter close to it. That’s about the only way to mitigate the problem, turn off IR
yes, understand turning off the led will solve the issue. Keep us posted on your progress, is an interesting design

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I really didn’t expect IR bounce to be an issue that high above the emitters. Like I said, I know nothing, I’ve never mounted a camera.
I’ll get those cameras set up on my test rig for tonight and see what happens. Cameras will be pointed down as my lowest mounting point is about 11 feet up. Concrete block house, stone front, wood doesn’t start till 10 feet up.

I also didn’t expect to run the camera IR or white lights during the warm months just because of bugs. Any light gets hammered around here in the summer. Figured I’d be forced to used separate IR lights.

Yes I did consider 3d printing. I was following cancuba‘s thread about having round boxes made. I just don’t want plastic and I like to build things from aluminum.

I always model in cardboard 1st. I’ve tried to teach myself to draw in CAD. I can get far enough to do whatever I’m working on at that moment, then forget it all. I don’t need to relearn cardboard every time I want to do something.

It’s all good. Men having a conversation about building stuff. I wish our young people would do this more.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I have not had an issue with IR bounce either with the shields that I have made. However, it is something to keep in mind when making these shields. Also, one of the uses for me is to keep the light from my security light(s) from shining on the camera lens at night. I also paint the underside of the shield with a dull flat black paint.

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have not had an issue with IR bounce either with the shields that I have made. However, it is something to keep in mind when making these shields. Also, one of the uses for me is to keep the light from my security light(s) from shining on the camera lens at night. I also paint the underside of the shield with a dull flat black paint.
A use I never thought of — I may not have to move the motion sensor light that currently is above the proposed camera locations.