Dahua PTZ DH-SD50225U-HNI should audio over IP be available?

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm in the process of commissioning this camera before it's mounted outside at the rear of the property, this camera it looking like it's a no for audio over IP.
Manufactured in 2017-07 the camera has audio in and out wires which I assume are analogue. BI hasn't found IP audio, neither did VLC play audio on the rtsp stream via the Virtual Host feature on my Hikvision NVR. This is in contrast to my newer 2 Dahua cameras where there's audio over IP. Generally I've taken Dahua cameras to be more supportive of audio over IP than Hikvision, but here it's missing on this Dahua PTZ.
Using a web browser to access the configurations on the Dahua PTZ I've enabled audio, used the same recommended audio settings as I've got on my other 2 cameras (thanks to loony2ns), no success though.

It's not a big deal but t would be nice to have the additional feature of audio over IP.
Why does Dahua have these separate speaker and mic audio wires, I assume they're analogue, and in a domestic setting how would the audio be recorded? It seems complicated.
I don't want analogue I want audio over IP, it's looking like this camera doesn't have this feature.

Incidentally I've updated the firmware to what's available on the Dahua website, which agrees with the firmware update function in the web config tool.
DH_SD-Eos_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V2.800.0000000.5.R.190827.bin
this is not the firmware that Andy is currently promoting for this series of cameras here on ipcamtalk.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Think about it. With a built-in microphone every time the camera moves you'd hear a lot of motor whine through that audio. If you look at the specs the camera does support G.711 audio over IP. All you need to do is add your own microphone, externally, to the camera and mount it a few feet away to minimize any motor noises. Try this microphone -

Micro Seven Microphne

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks folks.
I've been sidetracked because I've been basing my expectations of audio from this large PTZ on my experience with my Dahua mini PTZ a DH-SD1A203T-GN which does have a built in microphone. I'm aware the internal motor noise of a PTZ can drown out any external sounds, though with my mini PTZ now it's in position I rarely move the view it sees.

I'm also been thinking along the lines of a doorbell camera where in effect there are two microphones and two speakers, like an intercom or webcam system.

This large PTZ has 3 relevant wires Audio-In, Audio-Out, and common. So If I connect a microphone to the Audio-In will what it picks up come across in the IP stream or only through the Audio Out wire, or both? Might there be no Audio over IP with this camera?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The audio in will then go over IP. It is just this camera doesn't have a built in mic.

The audio out is if you wanted to add a speaker to play a siren or talk over. This would go through IP also.

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks all I'm getting a clearer idea.
Next I'll have to decided if it's that important to add a microphone, probably not considering the extra work involved and the limited space in the junction box.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
So riddle me this Batman, if your camera is powered my the switch, is the power jack on the microphone pulling power from the 12v plug on the cam? or do you have to bring your own power to the mic?
i certainly am enjoying the 5442 ip audio ( built in) and the amcrest 1179ew's audio ( also built in)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nope - you still need to provide power to the mic. The 12v plug is power in and not power out.

In my case, I replaced an old analog camera with a PTZ so bam I already had a power cord there from the analog BNC and power cable!

Some have been able to use a POE splitter and adapter to pull enough watts off for the mic and still be enough to power the cam. Would definitely want to test that before installing though LOL.

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This PTZ needs 24V AC, it's not POE. Incidentally my Hikvision NVR does have audio input and output sockets though as often the case the instruction manual gives little further info.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah Wittaj I have 10-11 locations with analog cameras using 12v runs back to a 12v power distribution box. so those could be retrofitted with that type of cam. except the Mic would draw unwanted attention from the residents. maybe ok for out doors. I didnt know the Amcrest laundry room cams had working audio until I upgraded to a new version of BI and I started hearing dryer doors slamming one day in my maint shack. :clap:

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks, an interesting suggestion of the PoE splitter, I hadn't appreciated what these splitters can do, I see a suggested use is to a power a raspberry Pi. In my experience I've often had to upgrade their power supply. I've got one running Kodi and in the past one I set up as a VPN server. Regarding this PTZ I've decided I won't fit the separate microphone it's not that important and not really worth all the work. If in future I want a microphone in this area I'd probably fit a small Dahua camera that has a built in microphone.

I wonder if there have been any or many occasions where a security camera's audio recording has gone on to provide useful evidence in court, I mean fixed CCTV cameras here not mobile phone footage.

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I can confirm that my DH-SD50225U-HNI will deliver audio over IP. From my workshop I could only find an old crystal microphone insert but despite it's high impedance it sort of worked. I found there's 2v on the Audio-In wires so there might be enough to enable a cheap electret capacitor microphone insert to deliver an acceptable volume of output. We'll see, I don't want the bother of running a power supply to a microphone. If the electret works well enough I'd mount it in the camera's junction box, something like over a small window to allow sounds in.
When the mic inserts arrive from eBay and if it all works satisfactorily I'll report back.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This PTZ needs 24V AC, it's not POE. Incidentally my Hikvision NVR does have audio input and output sockets though as often the case the instruction manual gives little further info.
I would double check that, I'll bet it's POE or POE+.
Read the sticker carefully that's on the cam.

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction looney2ns I checked again, the Dahua datasheet has this camera supporting PoE+, though in the short time I've run the camera on its 24v mains power supply it does run somewhat warm. I'll be choosing to power it from it's 24V AC brick rather than from a PoE+ port on my network switch. I've more to lose if the network switch fails than one power brick, one camera versus the lot.

There should no issue recording sounds from this camera as it will be covering the back garden where the public has no access.

Last edited:

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Update
I've had an opportunity today to connect in turn a couple of electret condenser microphone inserts to the Audio-In wires on my Dahua PTZ DH-SD50225U-HNI. I've not as yet changed the IP I've been using, the camera's IP is still on default into a W10 PC outputting to a TV as monitor in our living room. So far the speaker and microphone are not isolated spatially from each other. I got mixed results but there is audio over IP and the audio output seemed at a reasonable level. My hope that the 2V I measured on the Audio-In wires would work a low voltage electret insert is supported.

Initially there was a lot of extra machinery type noise that I took to be coming from the camera's internal cooling fan. However, selecting Noise Filter Enabled and this machinery noise was mostly eliminated. There is some echo, more what I might call reverb, this miay be linked to the lack of isolation between speaker and microphone.
I'm not really sure what to do next. I could connect two small electrets in parallel and incorporate them into the camera's future wall mount, or just use one insert. I've some more tests after I've changed this camera's IP over to the cameras' LAN where I'll be needing my wife to say a few words into the camera.
Having audio on this camera is not a big deal one way or another, just a nice addition to have.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Update
I've had an opportunity today to connect in turn a couple of electret condenser microphone inserts to the Audio-In wires on my Dahua PTZ DH-SD50225U-HNI. I've not as yet changed the IP I've been using, the camera's IP is still on default into a W10 PC outputting to a TV as monitor in our living room. So far the speaker and microphone are not isolated spatially from each other. I got mixed results but there is audio over IP and the audio output seemed at a reasonable level. My hope that the 2V I measured on the Audio-In wires would work a low voltage electret insert is supported.

Initially there was a lot of extra machinery type noise that I took to be coming from the camera's internal cooling fan. However, selecting Noise Filter Enabled and this machinery noise was mostly eliminated. There is some echo, more what I might call reverb, this miay be linked to the lack of isolation between speaker and microphone.
I'm not really sure what to do next. I could connect two small electrets in parallel and incorporate them into the camera's future wall mount, or just use one insert. I've some more tests after I've changed this camera's IP over to the cameras' LAN where I'll be needing my wife to say a few words into the camera.
Having audio on this camera is not a big deal one way or another, just a nice addition to have.
For best chances of catching clear voice recordings, you will want to turn off the Noise Filter.