Dahua & Self2WAN

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm posting this here in the Dahua section because the issue I'm having seems to have coincided with installation of my first Dahua camera a couple of weeks ago.

I have a Netgear R7000 router and I've been getting the following log messages 2-3 times a day since installing the Dahua Starlight PTZ SD59230U-HNI:

[Self2WAN ICMP type b Detected!] To prevent from revealing router's activity, this packet is dropped! Friday, Aug 18,2017 22:14:10

I can't correlate my activity using the camera's software, BI or IPCAMVIEWER with these messages.

Can anyone speculate why this might be happening? I don't use a VPN (I know I should; I just don't have the technical know-how to flash the DD-WRT and use the router's VPN capability).

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@looney2ns thank for the info--I've read where a lot of folks have had difficulty using OpenVPN, but I'll look at it again and try to give it a shot.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I put in a fake Default Gateway and changed the default port....no attempts in two days. VPN is over my head on my router...will have to look at getting an ASUS which apparently is much easier.

FYI, faking the gateway blocks the NTP server if used in the cam to time sync...

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So you use port forwarding? Thats really not a good idea. Another easy connection method (not so secure as vpn of course) is to set your cam in an separate Network (should your Netgear also be able to do) and connect through P2P (easy4IP) with gdmss or idmss. You don't need to open any port to your local network everything is tunnelled through port 80, and if you put your cams in an isolated adress range (VLAN 2 or DMZ p.e.) it´s a bit more securer, because a bot only reach your cam.

The P2P Service uses many relay server (from amazon cloud and many else) and also Dahua will route data from your Cam.
I can´t weight the security strength of this function, it´s really controverts discussed here. But everything is better than open ports.