Damaged outdoor CAT6 cables?

mikey299

n3wb
Reaction score
Yesterday I picked up 1 indoor and 3 outdoor POE cables (7, 14 and 15 meters) from a local store. They were not cheap too (cables, connectors and the store's "work" cost me around 80 bucks).

When I came home I noticed two cables had a cut on their end (see pictures). One of the cables is not working as well (it powered the camera for a few minutes and then the signal was lost. When I tried a different cable, the camera worked like it was supposed to). My question is:

-should I return all cables or just the one that doesn't work? I'm worried the other cable with a cut on it (which works fine for now) will not protect the wires from rain, snow etc. when it will be placed outside.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm new at this) but it seems like the store did a very poor job with connecting the cable with RJ45 connectors.

What do you guys think?

I'm attaching some pictures of the cables as well as the technical specs.

As always, I appreciate your help :)

Attachments

SOB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It looks like they cut into the inner insulation while stripping off the outer insulation. It doesn’t appear deep enough that any wires were nicked but I would definitely return it if I were you. Like you said it could lead to damage down the road. Being that it’s so close to the end they could just cut it off and re terminate without throwing the whole cable away.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Definitely return them...that's unacceptable.

I'd go so far as to ask the store owner/manager why in God's name would anyone make up a cable by removing about 2 inches of the outer jacket that is part of the high density PE protective jacket and is the main reason why it can be called "outdoor"?

He let an inexperienced, untrained person make up the cable and the results need to stop with your purchase, IMO.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
There are tutorials on you tube on how to terminate all these flavors of Cat cable...
you can get started rather inexpensively for DIY home projects.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I have an old one of these from back in 2007 that I've terminated at least a 1000 of cable these ends with....Not the exact brand, but something from Home Depot....I also got my crimper there....it was like $30 bucks....
1694868931590.png