Did I buy the wrong cable for POE (increased the risk of lightning/surge etc)?

HMay

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm installing a Tapo PTZ in the garden to use as a wildlife cam. It's powered by a 12vdc plug, so i've decided to try powering it via POE from the mains socket in my shed using 12v adapter/splitters at either end of the 30m cable run. I've ordered a reel of copper CAT6A S/FTP but I've just read a post on here which makes me think UTP may have been a better choice as the S/FTP carries greater risk of acting as a conduit for a surge/lightning discharge if not grounded?

I'm also attaching a TP-Link EAP110 wireless access point to the outside of the shed for the PTZ (plugged into mains via a supplied POE injector and connected to the router in the house via powerline adapters) and I'm wondering what cable to use for that now too? I've read a little about lightning arresters and Ubiquiti surge protectors but I'm not sure if that's opening up a can of worms (and whether our earthed mains in the UK will do the trick anyway?)

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Last edited:

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
UTP may have been a better choice as the S/FTP - the S/FTP carries greater risk of acting as a conduit for a surge/lightning discharge if not grounded?
I think you'll be fine. You may have paid more for the shielded foil cable' but if your using it the same as you would unshielded twisted pr. (same unshielded connectors) I don't think you'l see much difference. As far as running a higher risk of lightning, my experience says no unless you mount to metal bld. If your cable comes with a drain wire I'd be inclined to use it at one end.
They make several types of CAT6 lightning arrestors from relatively inexpensive to very expensive.

Just my unscientific opinion.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Make sure the camera is not grounded or float the camera.
Unless a ground is run back to the main ground and slam a
ground rod into the ground. If it will not go all the way down, bend
it over and run a ground wire to the camera support structure.
Then pray because after all of this you WILL NOT STOP A DIRECT HIT.
But, you will cut down on ground loops and surges from the ground up
or the leaders.

After all that scary stuff ground the POE switch put a RJ45 lightning arrester
and replace someday and don't worry.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Make sure the camera is not grounded or float the camera.
Unless a ground is run back to the main ground and slam a
ground rod into the ground. If it will not go all the way down, bend
it over and run a ground wire to the camera support structure.
Then pray because after all of this you WILL NOT STOP A DIRECT HIT.
But, you will cut down on ground loops and surges from the ground up
or the leaders.

After all that scary stuff ground the POE switch put a RJ45 lightning arrester................

I had to sit in on several ANSI/EIA/TIA-607 standards classes.

I can't argue with any recomendations, and especially agree with float your equement away from a metal bulding...or place a piece of wood on non conductive box if you are mounting to a metal building. If lightening hits it's gonna hurt something, but that goes for hurricanes and earthquakes also.