Do I need a IR Illuminator?

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Seems like that would make a great spotter cam for a PTZ.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Seems like that would make a great spotter cam for a PTZ.
Absolutely. Right now an NVR has the edge with this camera as a spotter cam as you can have each different IVS rule (say one left, center, and right of the image) have a different PTZ preset.

But BI is getting close to being able to have that feature.

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Absolutely. Right now an NVR has the edge with this camera as a spotter cam as you can have each different IVS rule (say one left, center, and right of the image) have a different PTZ preset.

But BI is getting close to being able to have that feature.
I just bought another 4k-T during the sale but I'm kinda wishing I would have bought the 180 instead.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just bought another 4k-T during the sale but I'm kinda wishing I would have bought the 180 instead.
On a true performance based decision, I would take the 4K-T over the 180.

But like every camera, each one serves a role and a great camera used in the wrong application will result in poor results.

I like the 180 for the wide angle view and the ability to use it to augment color and get a quick visual of what is happening, but I wouldn't use it for IDENTIFY purposes. That is what my 2MP, 4MP, and the 4K cams are for.

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
On a true performance based decision, I would take the 4K-T over the 180.

But like every camera, each one serves a role and a great camera used in the wrong application will result in poor results.

I like the 180 for the wide angle view and the ability to use it to augment color and get a quick visual of what is happening, but I wouldn't use it for IDENTIFY purposes. That is what my 2MP, 4MP, and the 4K cams are for.
True, part of me wanted to get a 180 just to try it out. My 4K-T's are working out well especially since I have been going all out with accessory LED lighting. It really doesn't take much for these 4K-T's to see good at night. I didn't have any lighting around the house before. It would be pitch dark at night. Now I feel that I have some very classy lighting at different places all around the house and on my accessory buildings. Maybe I did things backward but I put the camera where I wanted it to cover things and did the lighting according to that location.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
True, part of me wanted to get a 180 just to try it out. My 4K-T's are working out well especially since I have been going all out with accessory LED lighting. It really doesn't take much for these 4K-T's to see good at night. I didn't have any lighting around the house before. It would be pitch dark at night. Now I feel that I have some very classy lighting at different places all around the house and on my accessory buildings. Maybe I did things backward but I put the camera where I wanted it to cover things and did the lighting according to that location.
I think that sounds like a great approach. Too many people get the wrong cameras for their lighting situation and then have poor results.

Maybe you will win a 180 in the lottery this week!

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Update: you said internal lights. Well up that close, a Wyze cam can see the plate too. But the Dahua cam I will look into. Thanks.
Dahua niche? Alongside HikVision they are the world's biggest brands / vendors of cameras.

That close? It's 18 feet to the wing mirror (measured by laser rangefinder) and the only lighting there is the cameras internal spots. Without it, it's pitch black. The focal point is around the wing mirror not the plate.

Wyze? ROFL if you think there's any comparison spot lights or not.

If you want to waste your money on other brands then do it. We've all been there and finished up here. You say you have a budget of $99. I'm sure we could find you a decent Dahua within that although personally I'd save up the extra $50 and get a 5442. BTW my camera is a 4kT not a 5442, although the latest 5442's are now running it close for night colour due to improvements.

Yes supplementing any camera with lighting at night will kelp with picture quality although then you've got the cost of the lighting on top. Plus how many cameras have you bought already in your quest for a better picture? The $99 Reolink plus.....I'd hazard a guess you've probably spent more already than a 5442 in total. You can add onto that the final kick in the teeth. EVen with lighting you may miss your moment as many cheaper cams take a ouple of seconds to adapt to a bright change in lighting such as a floodlight coming on. The top Dahuas (and probably Hik - I don't have one) are instantaneous now in adapting.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My lighting is alreay in place. You can say its a sunk cost but they have worked very well for me. If the Reolink Duo 2 dont work out I can alway move it to another area. I will check out the Dauha 180 cam. If any of yall got that one please post some videos. I need see night motion as validation of its worth.
Here is the review thread: