Worlds First Review - Dahua DH-IPC-PFW5849-A180-E2 - Dual Lens 180 Degree Full Color 4K (8MP Stitched) Camera

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Intro

I’m pleased to announce we have another worlds first review to kick off, this time on the new Dahua DH-IPC-PFW5849-A180-E2. What’s this camera all about ? Well in a nutshell, take 2 x 5442T’s, squeeze them together, apply splicing algorithms and end up with a stitched 8MP (4096 x 1800 max) effective end image. Add a dash of E-PTZ (this will be interesting for those of you that haven’t seen this before) and you end up with a camera that give a great wide, yet detailed image that a) can be used to replace 2 cameras in some situations and b) provides a different use case, I’ll call it Wildcat Activation that allows you to supercharge PTZ’s in a. Multi camera config with spotter/overwatch setup through PTZ activation. A big THANK YOU as always to Andy (@EMPIRETECANDY) for providing this unit in exchange for a fair, honest, unbiased and no holds barred review.

I’ll attempt to answer any and all comments as always BUT please keep those to the main topic of this thread.

Lets go….

The Camera

Remember this is effectively a dual 4MP (1/1.8”) set of sensors spliced together. It features the same Taurus SOC that the 4K-T camera does. It is Full Color utilizing Warm LED Lights on-camera to augment any lighting on scene and therefore there is NO IR cut filter and NO IR illuminators.There is NO independent control of each sensor, instead you are presented 1 x stitched image utilizing 1 x output channel. The real power of a unit like this relies heavily on its Splicing / Calibration of sensors, stitching via FW and it’s AI algorithms in conjunction with how well it utilizes both sensors to deliver the end result.

The camera comes in with a standard fixed length equivalent of 3.6mm. The splicing options for this camera are automatic based on where you want the camera to align the images. Best way for me to describe this is at the point of convergence that ideally aligns with your choke point or point you want to ensure targets are captured at. Any point beyond that splicing point will then show a cutoff between both lenses, not noticeable to the landscape within an FOV BUT absolutely noticeable with a target such as a human. Therefore critical to splice carefully according to install location and distance to target

I do want to preface / caveat up front that this camera is definitely ‘unique’ in its approach to a 180 degree FOV and has a lot of potential for the use cases I mention above, especially the Wildcat Activation one. E-PTZ can be handy and I will show how that works for those that haven’t seen it. Just bear in mind that this cannot be directly compared to a regular PTZ camera with Auto Tracking as in this case, the A180 gives you no real controls over the tracking of a target AND if not configured correctly can lead to undesirable results. The HUGE benefit you gain however from E-PTZ is 1) you can adjust the sub-views after the fact (yes, its a thing) and 2) you always have the ‘standard’ image to go back to. This is something that this and other Panoramic cameras such as the Hunter PTZ’s have going for them that standard PTZ’s do not (the ability to always have a wide shot even if your Auto Track screws up).

Post 2 - Pics & Videos, Post 3 - Special Features / Functions / Tips & Tricks, Post 4 - Bug List (new), Post 5 - Wrap Up

Without further ado lets get onto the specs

——

Shipping FW Version

2022-08-10 but I’ve also tested with 2022-08-18

Mounting Options

The mount options for the PFW5849-A180 are:
  • PFA121 - 4 hole junction box
  • PFA5300R - Circular junction box
  • PFA157 - Pole Mount Adapter
Remember my tip about using PFA121 & PFA122 junction boxes and quick switching the plates (4 hole vs 3 hole), very useful here too. Just remember this one needs the PFA121 (4 hole plate)

Onto the specs

This is part of the Dahua Wizmind range so not only gets IVS based object filtering (Human, Vehicle) as well as, Heat Mapping, People Counting & Smart Object Detection BUT also features the new SMD 4.0. As this camera features the newer v5.0 Web GUI (wahoo !) + V3.0 FW, you will see support for General + Schedule Modes for IVS (very cool) + Time Plan Settings (to change image settings during different times of day and for different months). Lastly, you also see the new Sensitivity and ‘inside’ rule options for IVS triggers introduced with the 4K full color cams.

Camera Details

Image Sensor
- Dual 1/1.8” Sensors
Effective Pixels - 4096(H) x 1800(V), 8 Megapixels Spliced, capped at 25 fps (frames per second) as these current cameras are PAL aligned (no issue for digital work of course)
Main Resolutions - 4096 x 1800, 3840 x 1680, 3840 x 1080, 2880 x 1264
RAM: 1GB​
ROM: 128MB​
Electronic Shutter Speed - 1/3s~1/100,000s
Minimum Illumination
Color: 0.0005 Lux @F1.0 Color​
Color: 0.0005 Lux @F1.0 B&W​

Illumination Distance (utilizing the additional LED options) - Up to 40m (131.23 ft)
IR On/Off Control - Auto/Manual (brightness control of all LED’s only, NOT individual and NOT Near & Far controls)
Illuminator LEDs - 4 x Warm Light

Lens Information

Focal Length (Fixed)

3.6 Effective equivalent to regular fixed cameras

Max. Aperture
F1.0

Field of View
H: 180°
V: 48°

Close Focus Distance
3.6m (11.81ft)

DORI Distances
D
etect - 70.3m (230.64ft)
Observe - 28.1m (92.19ft)
Recognize - 14.1 (46.52ft)
Identify - 7.0m (41.99ft)

Audio Information

Built In Microphone
Built In Speaker

Intro Wrap Up

IMPORTANT
- I have posted a quick coming soon video and will then do a product overview demo. However I’ve already found and reported about 12 bugs / issues in FW that I’ve already detailed and reported to Dahua. Due to this I won’t be conducting real testing until I have the next version of the FW. Either way, wanted to at least get this started for all of you as I know there has been interest in 180 cameras + this one will start shipping soon

Last edited:

Futaba

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
so with 2 of these back to back, you will get 360 degrees of view. That would be very cool!

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
You have your placeholders in for more info on this--- looks like a cool overview camera!

Questions:
What are the individual lenses? 3.6mm? or 2.8?

What is the POE POWER DRAW??
Looks to be 3.6mm lenses.
Power is POE+ which Dahua state for this cam is 5.5w. Looking through a managed switch, it’s close at around 5.77w

mcfly76

n3wb
Reaction score
Would it be a good choice for watching two different facades of a building, by placing it at the corner, attached to a protruding ceiling, facing the building corner itself?
Not sure if I explained myself correctly.

Reaction score
Would it be a good choice for watching two different facades of a building, by placing it at the corner, attached to a protruding ceiling, facing the building corner itself?
Not sure if I explained myself correctly.
Good question-- That would be an interesting camera perspective--- a 180 degree cam aimed AT the corner. 1/2 of the image would be the building itself though, but it still might be a desirable view for a specific purpose.

1663251355980.png

Attachments

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are you guys in the US? The US dahua site doesn’t even list it. Just like all of there burglar alarms.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Interesting. This would work for coverage of my front porch/side yard. I currently have a Color4k-x 3.6mm doing duty there right now.