Does a 4-5MP version of the HFW5241E-Z12E exist with large sensor?

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Totally agree, my head is telling me to get a 2MP with 60mm and heart is saying go with a 5442 at 32mm. Just seems like backwards steps using the older sensor now, things move very quickly in this field.

In fact this has encouraged me to get a couple of the other more critical 2MP cameras swapped out for 5442 replacements, daytime is not such an issue but at night the 5442 really does earn its money.
The Z12E-S2 is an updated version of the original Z12E.

Edited for -S2, I have been saying -S3, but that's the 5442 turret.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is a post from @wittaj with the differences from the Z12E to the Z12E-S2

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here is a post from @wittaj with the differences from the Z12E to the Z12E-S2

Thanks, I stumbled across that and had a good read, excellent post and mine of information. My original Z12 has the focus shift issue so I am using the DahuaSunriseSunset application to tune that out, very useful on other cameras as well, I like mine to switch from night to day and vice versa a bit early to be safe.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The Z12E-S2 is an updated version of the original Z12E.

Edited for -S2, I have been saying -S3, but that's the 5442 turret.
I had no idea about the S2 variant, my regional supplier has S3 variant in stock?!? apparently. My existing camera is original version I suspect before the S2 was released.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had no idea about the S2 variant, my regional supplier has S3 variant in stock?!? apparently. My existing camera is original version I suspect before the S2 was released.
It is the same thing. Sometimes S2 is skipped as it was on the Empiretech Z12E

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It is the same thing. Sometimes S2 is skipped as it was on the Empiretech Z12E
Thank you again @wittaj

Shall likely just order one of those anyway, try it alongside the Z4E, it's the only way to really decide. I am certain the Z4E will be on the short side, but will be an excellent test for small detail during the day and general output at night.

My current 5231's do suffer at night with what I consider to be practical shutter speed, it is something I have tolerated, also don't like to simply discard cameras. System keeps growing if I recycle the older ones and put them elsewhere :lmao:

Last edited:

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Interesting looking through some footage comparing one of my HFW5442EP-ZE cameras to the 49225 PTZ today, I essentially found that images from the 5442 reading a license plate at around 40-50 feet matched the 49225, even with the PTZ being zoomed considerably more. The 5442 in question is set on 12mm zoom, such is the incredible image quality and processing from that camera that the license plate looks good, surrounding parts of the image pull out better detail also.

Even with my ANPR Z12E and vehicles filling the frame, detail is still somewhat limited by the 2MP resolution. Don't get me wrong, I can still read small bumper stickers with that Z12E, just that the 5442 sensor is in another league, not to mention night time images. I will order both cameras regardless but shall try and make the 5442 work initially. Very interesting playing around today though, even looking at those 5442 images at 125-150% they still hold up well, in this respect there is no substitute for more resolution. See how it pans out when the cameras arrive and get installed.

Last edited:

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
These are with my older Z12E as LPRs. I would say they are comparable to 4MP.
Indeed the Z12E produces some good images and has the benefit of additional zoom, sometimes there will be no substitute for this. The attraction to the 1/1.8" sensor at 4MP is night time performance, with the bonus of some potential detail during daylight. The 2MP sensor cameras I own including one with a 1/1.9” sensor cannot quite match the 5442 series in the dark. since these cameras are in remote location with mostly no extra light, it is important they will produce results with just IR.

The Z12E which I am using for LPR works a treat, both for license plates at the set focus distance and also for identifying objects further away and slightly out of the focal area. Great pieces of kit with a huge zoom range for static cameras.