Mini-Review - 5241-Z12E-S2 - Replacement for the 5241-Z12E

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Because we have had so many incidents over the years, I had finally convinced the neighbor at the beginning of the subdivision to allow me to put my LPR camera on their house so we could get everything coming in and out as they have a better angle and shorter distance than I do.

I think many of us have been waiting for the 5442 series to come out with a Z12E version, but it doesn’t seem likely, and I was always concerned that the 5241-Z12E may stop production, so since I still wanted to maintain LPR duty at my house, my thought was get a new 5241-Z12E and put my existing 5241-Z12E on their house. That way I would have a newer Z12E if they stopped making it.

@EMPIRETECANDY assured me that the Z12E would still be around and in fact followed the 5442 series by moving to the S3 version that promised better performance within the same sensor. So I was relieved to hear that the Z12E will be around longer! I am sure many of us are glad to hear that as well!

Here is the review thread of the original 5241-Z12E, which replaced the 5231-Z12E.

Here is the Amazon link to the new 5241-Z12E-S2

So I got the new Z12E-S2 and fired it up and the first thing I noticed is it is using the new GUI. I know many of us hated the GUI change and like the simplicity of the old GUI, but the more I play with the new GUI on my other cameras that have the new GUI (4K-T, mini-PTZ, T180) the more I start to like it. It has way more options and flexibility. It still has some quirks as well LOL.

Many of the specs remained the same. Similar to the 5442 series with the new chipset, the minimum illumination was the biggest change:

Minimum Illumination old Z12E:
0.002Lux/F1.5 ( Color,1/3s,30IRE)
0.020Lux/F1.5 ( Color,1/30s,30IRE)
0Lux/F1.5 (IR on) IR Distance Distance up to 200m (656ft)

Minimum Illumination new Z12E-S2:
0.0007 lux @ F1.5 (Color, 30 IRE)
0.0004 lux @ F1.5 (B/W, 30 IRE)
0 lux (Illuminator on)

So since the GUI is different and the minimum illumination specs indicate a better performing sensor, I thought what better way than to hang the new one up next to the existing one and compare the old versus new side-by-side.
So my existing Z12E has been a solid workhorse getting plates at 175 feet away with just the built-in infrared. There are no street lights and very few homes with outside lights on to assist.

Here is a representative sample during the daytime from my existing Z12E. Hmm the FedEx truck is missing a plate LOL.

Z12eoldfedex.jpg

Drumroll….here is the same truck taken at the same time with the new Z12E-S2 sitting next to the existing Z12E. WOW – I cannot believe this is 2MP. It looks vibrant and better. Granted the existing Z12E is older and may suffer from a little bit of glass cloudiness and soft focus at full zoom (more on that in a bit), but wow. I think it is clear to see that sensor technology has improved over the years for the same MP/sensor combination.

Z12Enewfedex.jpg

The night time isn’t as dramatic of a change.

The existing Z12E:

Z12oldnightplate.jpg

Versus the new Z12E-S2:

Z12newnightplate.jpg

I would consider these comparable with the edge to the new Z12E-S2.

Another area I think the newer chipset will help is with the 3M printed plates.

This is how many of the new plates look on my existing Z12E:

1693252431774.png

Compared to the new Z12E (different plate than above) that benefits from better sensor technology:

Z12Enew3mplate.jpg

Now the advantage the S2 has is that some of us would notice the previous Z12E would suffer in some situations with a trailing tail or fish gill type look. I know @bigredfish knows what I am referring to. Here is an example of what it looked like with the previous Z12E – notice this fish gill look in red and comet trail in yellow:

fishgill.png

I have yet to see that phenomenon with the new Z12E-S2.

Another benefit of this camera is that we can run it full zoom. Many of us recall the older Z12E for some would get blurry at full zoom and would have to back down to like 90% zoom in order to get a focused field of view. I ran my existing Z12E a little closer to full zoom and that probably contributed to some of the soft focus as well.

Another benefit is that the day/night profile holds the focus and zoom day and night (confirmed by @jeremycolvin that is using this camera for LPR in his thread) unlike many of us experienced with the prior Z12E and had to use this sunrise/sunset utility to keep the day and night focus and zoom.

Another great benefit is they added a built-in mic on this one as well!

In summary, I think similar to what @bigredfish saw with the newer 5442 series, we are seeing similar improvements in the 5241-Z12E with the newer sensor, chipset, and GUI.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reserved if needed for update.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Curious to learn whether the old camera going to a neighbor will still have a stream to your BI, and if so, how? The use of Ubiquiti LAN radios would be ideal.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Curious to learn whether the old camera going to a neighbor will still have a stream to your BI, and if so, how? The use of Ubiquiti LAN radios would be ideal.
I so wish it could continue going to BI and into my LPR utility!

I wish we had line of sight but we don't, so I tried streaming it (they were aware of the risks of doing that but said they do nothing sensitive online - elderly couple that just use it for surfing net and no banking or anything) and their ISP threw a fit within 2 days and called them and said if whatever device is IPC-LPR isn't removed from their internet they will be cut off. We found out Spectrum unlimited really is limited LOL.

They already have an Amcrest system of cameras, so I ended up putting it into their NVR and will just go up there when we need it.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I so wish it could continue going to BI and into my LPR utility!

I wish we had line of sight but we don't, so I tried streaming it (they were aware of the risks of doing that but said they do nothing sensitive online - elderly couple that just use it for surfing net and no banking or anything) and their ISP threw a fit within 2 days and called them and said if whatever device is IPC-LPR isn't removed from their internet they will be cut off. We found out Spectrum unlimited really is limited LOL.

They already have an Amcrest system of cameras, so I ended up putting it into their NVR and will just go up there when we need it.
I have a crappy internet connection via an M5 Nano...$25/month for 4mb/s (yes, megabit, not megabyte) but it's unlimited....when it works! lol

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a crappy internet connection via an M5 Nano...$25/month for 4mb/s (yes, megabit, not megabyte) but it's unlimited....when it works! lol
Yeah we talk often about how if you try to stream cameras 24/7 to like a cloud service that the ISP may get mad even if unlimited, I just didn't think it would be within 2 days LOL. I was only streaming the substream LOL. I am sure there are probably ways to stream and be ok, but I just wanted to try it this way to see how stable it was. It wasn't LOL.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah we talk often about how if you try to stream cameras 24/7 to like a cloud service that the ISP may get mad even if unlimited, I just didn't think it would be within 2 days LOL. I was only streaming the substream LOL. I am sure there are probably ways to stream and be ok, but I just wanted to try it this way to see how stable it was. It wasn't LOL.
Was it the connection that was unstable or the ISP? lol

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@wittaj Do you plan to test if the camera AI (person/vehicle) IVS stuff has improved versus your original Z12?

Interested to also know how well the following AI features work: loitering detection, people gathering, and parking detection (***listed on Amazon page)

Last edited:

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Wonder if Ubiquiti makes LAN radios not requiring line of site. Even so, at least you have the whole neighborhood covered. Good job!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@wittaj Do you plan to test if the camera AI (person/vehicle) IVS stuff has improved versus your original Z12?

Interested to also know how well the following AI features work: loitering detection, people gathering, and parking detection (***listed on Amazon page)
Yes I have tested the AI IVS stuff as well. I find it works much better than the previous Z12E.

Even though they both run can SMD 3.0, I think it can be handled with this chipset easier than the previous one.

I was a tester back in May 2021 for SMD 3.0 on the previous Z12E and I found it too laggy and not as responsive as the version that the camera came with so I reverted that one back.

Now do keep in mind if someone is using this camera for LPR duty, at the tight field of view we have to use, the IVS rules can be problematic, especially at night.

But if someone is using it for non-LPR then it does a fine job and is equal to the 5442 series when I had it pointed at the same field of view as my 5442-ZE.

I have not tested the loitering, people, or parking detection, but that is an easy test for me as I can just zoom out the camera a bit and dial it down to a 1/60 or 1/120 shutter and there will be parked car in the field of view as well as some pesky kids that like to loiter LOL. I will just have to put my old 5231 up next to it to get plates for a few days, but that should be easier now as well LOL.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
How about critters? Assuming that IVS doesn't work unchecked since it's newer but have to ask.

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Unfortunately not since it is the new GUI.

I am now used to the monthly schedule from my other cams with this GUI so I set that up on this one, but will be switching it the day/night profile now that we know it actually works on this camera!
See if the following HTTP API will work with the new Web 5 interface on the 5241 Dahua camera.

It works perfectly on a Dahua SD5A425XA-HNR (PTZ5A4M-25X) PTZ for day/night operations using a Web 5 interface to modify the schedule without the need to drag sliders around.

Day Switch

Code:
http://admin:password@192.168.55.156/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&VideoInMode[0].TimeSectionV2[7][0]=00:00:00-24:00:00 Day
Night Switch

Code:
http://admin:password@192.168.55.156/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&VideoInMode[0].TimeSectionV2[7][0]=00:00:00-24:00:00 Night
The first block after V2 is the month. 0 for January and 11 for December, etc. The second bracket block will set a new time block and is not used in this application. In place of day/night other modes such as Custom or Custom1 could be used.

Thanks to prsmith777 for developing the API.

Last edited:

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Alaska Country Do you have the API call to simply toggle day/night?

(Although your code above works, I'm not interested in TimeSectionV2)