Door bell dilemma

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
So here is my dilemma. I am installing surveillance cameras at a buddies house, which is a fully finished bungalow with no security alarm. I sold him on the idea of getting the ring alarm first, but I am contemplating on what wifi door bell to install. Clients are retired and not very tech savvy. Less apps the better. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ReoLink is top dog right now...but you may want to stick with a Ring DB with that security system...

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
So basically it’s Andy’s door bell vs ring doorbell . ?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most likely Andy's 4108HS-8P-4ks
Do you want the Doorbell to record on the NVR? If so, look for a DIY ONVIF supported Doorbell. If not, Ring may still be the way to go since it is simple for non DIYers and also has the neighborhood alert feature that many people like.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So far I am pleased with it.
1684495510472.png
1684500259781.png

Here is a Daytime capture:

Last edited:

Elton Noway

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Most likely Andy's 4108HS-8P-4ks
Just be aware Reolink only supports their doorbell when used with a Reolink NVR. The 4108HS-8P-4ks NVR you are considering has features like face detection, perimeter protection, IVS, people counting, heat map etc, which may or may work not work when used in conjunction with the Reolink DB. I'm using the Reolink (my best doorbell camera yet) with a Costco / Lorex NVR. It captures great images 24/7, accurate time and date stamps, adjustable brightness / contrast, zone detection and the doorbell actually works... but... the face detection, two-way audio and push notifications do not work when connected to my Lorex NVR. What features will or will not work with Andys NVR remain to be seen. The Blue Iris folks have had better luck getting the Reolink features work, but BI may not be ideal since you mentioned you clients are not very tech savvy. NET: Ring doorbells are good in their own right and fit a target audience perfectly (i.e. not tech savvy, want a video doorbell, only have access to WiFi and are more or less simple plug and play) The biggest downside of the Ring is it requires a monthly cloud subscription for all its advertised features to work. Ironically... I just happened to see this video yesterday comparing the Reolink with the Ring Pro 2. FYI: Read through the comments following the video as they contain some interesting details.

Last edited:

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a Lorex 2K wi-fi doorbell camera and have been satisfied with it. It works fine with my Lorex NVR plus it has a separate Lorex Home app for notifications. The wide-view and distance range is way beyond what I was expecting for a doorbell camera. My home had the original 40+ year old Nutone doorbell that still worked fine, but I had to replace it and the transformer for compatibility with the Lorex doorbell camera. There are no associated monthly fees with the Lorex camera and I won't buy Ring products.

Attachments

Reaction score
Reolink POE or bust.
They don't have the option to ring my old school 24v doorbell chimes do they? I have the hikvision DS-HD1 working (wireless) that way but I suspect it's slowly dying.

Any upgrade path that supports onvif for blueiris and Ethernet and can ring the old chimes?

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They don't have the option to ring my old school 24v doorbell chimes do they? I have the hikvision DS-HD1 working (wireless) that way but I suspect it's slowly dying.

Any upgrade path that supports onvif for blueiris and Ethernet and can ring the old chimes?
ReoLink Doorbell is Top Dog right now. Here is our Thread:

As far as existing chimes, this Doorbell is not designed to connect to them, it comes with it's own chime which can be adjusted to be very loud, if you can't part from your old chime there are several work arounds out there...

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Lorex 2K wi-fi doorbell camera and have been satisfied with it. It works fine with my Lorex NVR plus it has a separate Lorex Home app for notifications. The wide-view and distance range is way beyond what I was expecting for a doorbell camera. My home had the original 40+ year old Nutone doorbell that still worked fine, but I had to replace it and the transformer for compatibility with the Lorex doorbell camera. There are no associated monthly fees with the Lorex camera and I won't buy Ring products.
My Reolink shows a view similar to yours and I want to tilt it down a bit to get less sky and more porch. :cool:

But because I installed the furnished wedge to give it some horizontal turn to the doorbell's right I'm puzzling how to also tilt it down. Currently I'm looking to have what I need 3D printed.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My Reolink shows a view similar to yours and I want to tilt it down a bit to get less sky and more porch. :cool:

But because I installed the furnished wedge to give it some horizontal turn to the doorbell's right I'm puzzling how to also tilt it down. Currently I'm looking to have what I need 3D printed.
So I did a makeshift test and tilted mine down, what I found is anyone tall it would cut off the top of their head if they got real close to the Doorbell CAM so be sure and test it first before you 3D print. I just got a longer screw (at top) and wedged two carpenter pencils between the brick and DB for my test. Had a guy in the ReoLink Thread suggested putting a mirror opposite the DB so you can view the ground where the packages are left, never got that far, plus thinking IR at night may blind the DB CAM but it may be worth the try. Of course another CAM aiming at the floor will work too...

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The effect of too much sky is different at the side doorbell and at the front doorbell.

At the side, the cam faces west and the low afternoon sun closes the iris and so faces may be darkened. I installed it in June when leaves on the trees are actually limiting how bad that effect is at this time, I'll have to wait until the leaves fall off in October to see how badly the sun's setting is and if down-tilt will actually help and if so, how much.

At the front, the cam faces north and the upper limit is actually seeing my porch overhang and not the actual sky so it's not affecting the iris and causing dark faces but some additional down-tilt would better view packages close to the door.