Drive configuration question - is an ssd neccessary?

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I will be moving bi from what I had on hand (6th gen intel, ssd, nvme, stablebit drivepool with 3x redundancy) to a purpose built machine, an HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF ebay special. The new machine is an 8th gen intel and came with an ssd as the sole drive. There are 2 bays for more drives. My initial plan was to add a 12tb wd purple pro drive for bulk storage of continuously recording cameras. But I realize I have a few options:

1. 2nd ssd for new and a large purple drive for stored
2. one large purple drive for new and stored (with nothing actually moved to stored)
3. 2 smaller purple drives with some cameras going to one drive and other cameras going to the other drive

Are the purple pro drives fast enough for 7 cameras (2 to 4 mp at 15ish fps) to write to?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, they're plenty fast for that and more.

I'd probably just go with 2 myself. 1 isn't necessary performance-wise and you lose what you gain for faster initial writing on the backend when you move it. Nothing wrong with 3 but it's probably going to cost you more and kind of doubtful that you'll really benefit from whatever small redundancy that provides. If you had another extra drive around or that you were upgrading from, sure, plug it in and use it.

Last edited:

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, they're plenty fast for that and more.

I'd probably just go with 2 myself. 1 isn't necessary performance-wise and you lose what you gain for faster initial writing on the backend when you move it. Nothing wrong with 3 but it's probably going to cost you more and kind of doubtful that you'll really benefit from whatever small redundancy that provides. If you had another extra drive around or that you were upgrading from, sure, plug it in and use it.
I was checking out the prices of the 500gb and 1tb ssd's and realized that was not a lot of additional storage compared to a large drive. So unless the hd is too slow, I wasn't sure there would be any advantage to 1. The current machine is 16x 3tb drives in a pool with about 14tb of storage after accounting for the triple redundancy. Using one big drive would keep everything in new and move nothing into stored so I'm not sure what could be set for redundancy on that small 3tb drive.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
You could break out a couple of cams to the small drive I guess. Or keep the machine running for backup/longer-term storage if you wanted but then you have another machine running all the time. Depends what your needs are. If like most users without a need to look back more than a few weeks and no real need to preserve things, I'd probably just go with the one and be done. Because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean that you should.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you use SSD for video (not recommended) keep in mind that unless it had a high rating, you could blow thru it quickly.

I wouldn't put operating system and video on same drive.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you use SSD for video (not recommended) keep in mind that unless it had a high rating, you could blow thru it quickly.

I wouldn't put operating system and video on same drive.

If I were to put videos on an ssd, I would get a 2nd ssd. But I would forego that 2nd ssd if the hd was fast enough.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I killed a 480Gb Kingston SSD in 3 months when using it exclusively for the BI New folder. SSDs are OK for reading alot, but do not seem to do very well for continuous writing.

I run 21 cameras, some 4K, mostly 2K, to a WD 4TB purple drive, absolutely no problems for over a year. I use a 1024K block size.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I killed a 480Gb Kingston SSD in 3 months when using it exclusively for the BI New folder. SSDs are OK for reading alot, but do not seem to do very well for continuous writing.

I run 21 cameras, some 4K, mostly 2K, to a WD 4TB purple drive, absolutely no problems for over a year. I use a 1024K block size.
Thanks. I'm looking to have 10-12 cameras at some point. I did see the 1024k block size suggestion in the linked to thread. It's one of the many bookmarked threads I have.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I looked over that thread before posting my question. It does a good job of explaining best practices of each setup but doesn't seem to compare the effectiveness of each setup.
Its pretty simple.
Put Windows, Blueiris, and the Blue Iris Database on the SSD, an SSD of 256gb is plenty.
Then put all video on a WD Purple Hard drive in New, no need to use stored. Purple drives are plenty fast enough.
No need to use Drivepool or Raids. In a lot of case's it will cause you issues.

An SSD speeds up many operations in BI.
Don't overthink it.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Its pretty simple.
Put Windows, Blueiris, and the Blue Iris Database on the SSD, an SSD of 256gb is plenty.
Then put all video on a WD Purple Hard drive in New, no need to use stored. Purple drives are plenty fast enough.

Don't overthink it.
Drivepool was because it was what I had. Other than a display driver issue, it hasn't given me any issues with BI. Yet. I just wanted a smaller computer.

costly

n3wb
Reaction score
Its pretty simple.

Don't overthink it.

What is the difference between new and stored and why wouldn't one use stored? Trying to learn and grasp this concept. Thanks.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What is the difference between new and stored and why wouldn't one use stored? Trying to learn and grasp this concept. Thanks.
New is where the new clips go. They are moved to stored based on some rule, usually a time or a size limit, to make sure there is always enough room on the drive containing New for new clips. But if New and Stored are on the same drive, moving clips from New to Stored doesn't free up any space on the drive with New.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What you don't want to do is move from NEW to STORED on the same drive or another drive in the box - if you have two drives it is better to split the cameras across both drives. Only move to STORED if going to NAS.