Dual NIC setup on your Blue Iris Machine

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
With this setup, would it be bad to run other programs that interact with or are used by devices on the main network on the Blue Iris PC? If so, what's the concern?
Ideal scenario is to have a machine that runs BI and nothing else. This will eliminate other programs from potentially hogging any resources from BI, it also reduces the chances of any updates to program x, y, z from having an adverse affect on BI.

</.02>

Ang4321

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you @TL1096r for this post and to everyone else for all of information provided! I’m new to the forum and to setting up a surveillance system and this post has been very helpful. I believe I followed the steps to set up the dual nic well, and I can now view the cameras on the BI software, but for some reason, I am not able to access the BI Ui3 on other devices connected to the BI PC’s LAN; specifically my iPhone connected over Wifi. I am able to access the Ui3 no problem from the Chrome browser on the BI PC. Will someone help me with this?

Just a little info. about my setup:

The nic on the BI PC that is connected to the internet is connected to my AT@T modem and I gave it a static IP address of 192.168.1.1 which is also the adapter chosen in the BI webserver LAN. This is also the LAN where I’m connecting my iPhone over WiFi when I’m home.

The second nic has the poe switch with 5 Dahua cameras plugged into it. This nic was given a static IP address of 192.168.80.10 and each camera has a static IP address on the same network. They are completely off the internet because the gateway was left blank.

Just FYI, I have “local network” toggled on in the Chrome app on my iPhone and that still hasn’t helped. Also, I have Windows 11 pro and both of my network adapters seem to be automatically set to public in Window’s Defender. However, I made sure to exclude BI and the other storage folders from the Window's firewall. I’m not sure if that could make a difference but just sharing in case it does. Thanks so much in advance!

Michael11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Turn off Window Defender’s firewall and see if your phone can open UI3.

Are you using the same IP address for LAN on the webserver settings? To change it, the grayed out box below it is a dropdown. You want this to be 192.168.1.1.

Post the BI version you’re using too. Someone else may have something else.

Reaction score
If your BI pc is 192.168.1.1 like you state, then in the browser you set the IP address to view UI3 as 192.168.1.1:81

That should bring you to the login screen for UI3.

Ang4321

n3wb
Reaction score
Turn off Window Defender’s firewall and see if your phone can open UI3.

Are you using the same IP address for LAN on the webserver settings? To change it, the grayed out box below it is a dropdown. You want this to be 192.168.1.1.

Post the BI version you’re using too. Someone else may have something else.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Yes, I’m using the 192.168.1.1 IP address in the BI webserver.

I did try turning off the Firewall and that worked! So, it must be something with the firewall that’s preventing it. I thought it would still be important to have the firewall to protect the BI PC since it’s connected to the internet. Is there any idea what this specifically may be so that I can have the firewall turned on but configured in a way to allow for the Ui3?

I have BI version 5.8.0.10

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Check the network setting - it may have switched to private or public with a Windows update. Try switching it to the opposite of what it is now and see if that works.

Ang4321

n3wb
Reaction score
If your BI pc is 192.168.1.1 like you state, then in the browser you set the IP address to view UI3 as 192.168.1.1:81

That should bring you to the login screen for UI3.
Thanks! Yes, that’s what I did and it initially worked when searching in the Chrome browser on my BI PC but not on my phone. However, now I’ve realized it must be Windows Defender blocking it because I temporarily turned it off and it immediately worked. I did want to use the firewall to secure the PC better though. Do you have any idea of how to configure it so that it won’t block Ui3 on my phone?

Ang4321

n3wb
Reaction score
Check the network setting - it may have switched to private or public with a Windows update. Try switching it to the opposite of what it is now and see if that works.
That worked! Turning it from public to private on the firewall did it. Thank you so much!

For some reason it said that leaving it public is recommended. Does turning it to private make the network insecure? Sorry for all the questions. Definitely still learning about network and security. ☺

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That worked! Turning it from public to private on the firewall did it. Thank you so much!

For some reason it said that leaving it public is recommended. Does turning it to private make the network insecure? Sorry for all the questions. Definitely still learning about network and security. ☺
The public/private in the firewall simply has to do with what network your computer is on (ie home or Starbucks). It will call it either private or public based on what YOU set up your network as initially (or Windows update changes it arbritarily LOL). So if you are the owner and in control of your wifi router, it doesn't make a difference.

Ang4321

n3wb
Reaction score
The public/private in the firewall simply has to do with what network your computer is on (ie home or Starbucks). It will call it either private or public based on what YOU set up your network as initially (or Windows update changes it arbritarily LOL). So if you are the owner and in control of your wifi router, it doesn't make a difference.
I see. That makes total sense. Thanks so much for the help!

H. Swanson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If a Blue Iris PC is on the main LAN with one NIC, and have the cameras on a separate LAN with another NIC, is there any issue from a security standpoint to allow the BI PC access to the Internet to automatically update the OS, BI software and cameras' FW?

H. Swanson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This does not make any sense. How can the cams have a 'NIC' that is a different LAN if the 'BI PC' only has one NIC? A NIC is the Network Interface Card that is in a PC.
I meant the BI PC has two NICs. The cameras are on a PoE switch which is connected to one of the NICs in the PC. Sorry, my post wasn’t clear.

Reaction score
^ then that is how most folks here run it. And yes it is just fine to have one NIC connected to the isolated cam NIC, and the other connected to the internet access point.

Realize that updating the cam's firmware is something that you should only do if necessary.

H. Swanson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
^ then that is how most folks here run it. And yes it is just fine to have one NIC connected to the isolated cam NIC, and the other connected to the internet access point.
So isn’t that an adavantage over an NVR with questionable firmware/security? I’m blocking Internet on my NVR but it would be nice to enable auto updating or even manual updating directly to the Internet.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So isn’t that an adavantage over an NVR with questionable firmware/security? I’m blocking Internet on my NVR but it would be nice to enable auto updating or even manual updating directly to the Internet.
Yes a dual NIC is an advantage over an NVR because the computer will have up to date virus protection on it and the NVR simply doesn't have that.

You NEVER want to enable auto updating. It will mess your system up at some point. It may remove a feature you are using or it may break a feature that was working for you. You only update if it is a known issue that you are having and you know that the firmware will fix it and not break something else. Way too many times people come here when they did a firmware update and broke something.

Reaction score
I suppose, if the NVR HAS questionable firmware/security. Lots of folks here use an NVR, including some of the most respected ones, like @bigredfish. I personally use a PC running BlueIris and have a dual NIC setup.

But that is not the only way one can achieve a good yet safe system. Some folks use a PC running BI or something else and use VLANS to separate the systems. Others just rely on the router's internal settings to keep people out and the cams from calling out. I like having a physically isolated setup which to me seems simpler than VLANS, which would require me to learn some more technical stuff.

I never went the NVR route. Some folks here started with an NVR and ended up with running BI on a PC. Some have both.

Also, as @wittaj stated, NEVER auto update anything having to do with IP cams. Not the cam firmware, not the NVR firmware, not BI itself, and even Windows OS. It is imperative that you exercise complete control over the update process. Almost every time someone has an issue, an update was involved.

Last edited:

Pastelaso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I tried to follow the instructions, but I am unable to view the wireless cameras. I have TAPO C110s and I am unable to give them an IP address via the camera itself. Since the AP won't have DHCP, how can I do this with the TAPO cameras?