Empty clip ?

Freubel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Few days ago i noticed something weird.
System is set to save recordings for 2 days on an SSD and then move it to a WD purple drive. I like this set-up because pulling up recordings is lightning fast. Pulling older clips from the purple drive takes some time, hence this set-up.
So now i have noticed this weird glitch:

Has anybody encoutered this before ?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is the glitch I can not see anything of use in the s screen shot.

In general it is a bad idea to use time/age to move files, you should use allocated space

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Perhaps you've fooled the database. it's looking for the clip in position A, But you moved it to B? try repair database to see if it resolves?

Freubel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Perhaps you've fooled the database. it's looking for the clip in position A, But you moved it to B? try repair database to see if it resolves?
Allready tried deleting the DB a few times, clips haven't been moved and are still in the same place. Last night i deleted all the old clips to see if the moving is the issue but it isn't. I now have 6 hours of clips and still have the same "issue". It's just a weird thing.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you "deleting" or "repairing? People generally write the video once to 1 drive. What version of BI are you using? I'm running 5.4.7.11 ( jun 2021).
If the system is lagging to pull the data from the WD purple drive, maybe you can tweak the computer to perform better?
Like have enough ram?
upgrade the Processor?
format the WD purple drive with non default sector sizes. sector size 1024 rather than defaults. Run double WD Purp drives?
( I have 1 Wd purp and 1 WD White label refurb sharing disk writing) so when I call up a video to replay. the other drive is writing 1/2 the cameras and does not bog down the the drive trying to " play" the recorded video. This has significantly speeded up my video search wait time for BI to bring up a video esp. from a date in the past several days.

Last edited:

Freubel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you "deleting" or "repairing? People generally write the video once to 1 drive.
The drive overwrites the data at some point ( on mine its some 3-5 weeks later), I sometimes manually " convert/export" files to a suspicious vehicles folder in the C:\ drive to see if they are persistently coming onto the property "casing" the parking lot.
I did both, first repairing and then just deleting the content of the DB folder.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd go back to writing the video to the WD Purple. And live with the lag for a bit to stop the problem until a workaround is figured out by a super geek, ( who is probably sleeping)

Freubel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
sorry i was editing my post :)
Appologies !
The blueiris version 5.5.6.2
MSI B250M Mortar motherboard
i5 7600K running at stock speed (3.8 ghz)
16 gb 3200 mhz memory
M.2 WD 512 gb SSD with windows & blueiris, no other software on the pc
1TB Samsung evo SSD for the first 2 days of recording
3TB Samsung evo SSD for the other 7 days of recording
But i have to say that this is a new set-up and has only been running for 2 days now, so i haven't used the purple drive in this set-up because of past experiences.
5 camera's and only 3 of them use alert triggers.
CPU usage is around 4 to 5 % on average.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd skip the movement of clips from 1 drive to another drive. Maybe just write it all to the 3TB Samsung? see how that performs?

Freubel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd go back to writing the video to the WD Purple. And live with the lag for a bit to stop the problem until a workaround is figured out by a super geek, ( who is probably sleeping)
Ok, i'll give that a try.
So just to make sure, keep everything on the M.2 SSD (db, alerts) except for the clips, they go to the purple drive right ?
Would the 1024 clustersize really make a difference ?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes. Also, how large are your clips? I had to cut mine into 15 minute increments to gain faster seek times.
i cut clip on every camera at 15 min intervals

Freubel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes. Also, how large are your clips? I had to cut mine into 15 minute increments to gain faster seek times.
i cut clip on every camera at 15 min intervals
I used 1 hour clips, i could change that to 15 minutes but doesn't that just make it even slower because of the ammount of clips ?