Errors from Overallocation to Failure to Add to BIDB

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Greetings all; it has been quite a while since I have been able to post anything. Hope everyone is doing well. I came here today hoping to get some assistance with a storage issue.

On my BI PC, I have a 250 GB SSD (formatted down to 237GB) for the C drive, and a 4TB Purple (formatted down to 3.63TB) for the New/Stored/Alerts storage, listed as D drive. The BI database is located on the C drive SSD. Prior to today, I was experiencing the Overallocation error, so I used the SouthernYankee BI Allocation thread to tune up my PC (SouthernYankee BI Allocation). Forgive my lengthy post, but just wanted to walk through what I did so someone could point out my oversight.

Using 3,630 GB (equivalent to 3.63TB), I calculated 90% of the drive as 3,267 GB. I then set the New folder on the D drive to have a limit size of 3,265 GB, and then Delete to save CPU cycles. I set the Stored as 0 GB and left it as Delete. Finally, I allocated 2 GB to the Alert folder and set to Delete. None of the Auxiliary folders are utilized. I also changed the compact database option to run daily at 1430.

Now, I am receiving a ton of errors in my log and on the app. This time instead of overallocated errors, the ones I see are “AddToBIDB failed 112”. Of course, along with that, all of the clips are missing, and when I try to repair/regenerate the database or delete/regenerate the database, I get the error that my C drive does not have enough memory to copy the database. Sure enough, the C drive shows 0 bytes free. This PC is truly dedicated to BI and has Deepstack installed. I’ve gone through and cleaned up as much as I could on the PC, but still same issue.

I am placing screenshots of my BI settings in case I am missing something. Could it be as simple as just upgrading the size of my SSD, or have I totally screwed something up? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. My responses will more than likely be delayed as I am trying to get back into the swing of things at home to include work. Thank you in advance for your help.

1709643114836.png 1709643129681.png 1709643141994.png

Last edited:

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Bumping out to maintain visibility. Would I be better off to upgrade my SSD from 250GB to 500GB or 1TB? Could this be one of the drives going bad?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A 250GB drive is more than large enough.

Go into System restore and see how much it is using and then allocate just a bit more than that. I have seen instances where Windows will "allocate" half the drive to this and then it essentially cuts your available space in half.

1709679391940.png

Then try shutting off the BI Service and then delete the DB folder and then reopen and let BI rebuild. You lose all the thumbnail alert images but all of the video is still there.

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A 250GB drive is more than large enough.

Go into System restore and see how much it is using and then allocate just a bit more than that. I have seen instances where Windows will "allocate" half the drive to this and then it essentially cuts your available space in half.

View attachment 188635

Then try shutting off the BI Service and then delete the DB folder and then reopen and let BI rebuild. You lose all the thumbnail alert images but all of the video is still there.
Hey @wittaj !
I just checked, and it looks like I have never set up a system restore on this PC. When I tried to create one, it stated I did not have sufficient space. When I go to Configure, it shows 0 bytes.
When I go to system to try and find where all of the storage is going to, I see 205GB on Apps & Features. Investigating that, the numbers just don't add up to 205GB.
1709680201753.png1709680308188.png1709680348471.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Clear out the recycle bin - maybe it is holding on to a lot of stuff?

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It was, and I had cleared it out around an hour or so ago. Just double-checked, and it is still empty. The only thing on my desktop is a shortcut to BI, recycle bin, norton, and a couple of small clips/videos I saved. I've even ran CCleaner to clear out all the old temp files and to remove registries that were unused.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Go to each folder and see how many MB/GB is in each one - you must have something else stored on there you forgot about.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And do a disk cleanup incase it is saving tons of Windows updates.

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
And do a disk cleanup incase it is saving tons of Windows updates.
Uggghh; nothing standing out so far. Visited all the folders on the desktop, and nothing stands out (folder sizes listed below). I will check the disk cleanup and report back.
253MB
3.39MB
852bytes
81.4MB
13.2MB
86.2MB
471MB

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just checked my disk cleanup and it had 75GB to clear out. It adds up quick!

Another folder that can fill up fast is this one and you can delete all that out if disk cleanup doesn't

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just checked my disk cleanup and it had 75GB to clear out. It adds up quick!

Another folder that can fill up fast is this one and you can delete all that out if disk cleanup doesn't

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
@wittaj , you are awesome. So for, it found 5GB in just windows update files alone. Everything else was extremely small. Once it is complete, I will check the folder you recommended as well. So let me ask, do I need to create a system restore as you listed above? If so, what would you recommend I set the max usage to be? Also, I guess I need to delete the database and regenerate as you mentioned earlier, correct?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
System Restore isn't really needed for a computer dedicated to BI if you don't allow it to update automatically for Windows and BI.

A backup is much more important.

I have mine on at 10GB since it doesn't need much. Whenever I update BI (which isn't often), I try to remember to create a system restore point and do a backup just in case it goes south.

I would still go ahead with deleting the DB folder and let it rebuild and see if that gets rid of your problems!

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OK, I did wait until the disk cleanup was finished, stopped the service and deleted the db folder on the C Drive. Once I started the service again, it gives me the drive overallocated message again.
1709683118694.png

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I take it back; I clicked on the screen above and chose Database>Delete&Regenerate, and it now shows as the message below. I guess I will just have to wait and see if everything gets overloaded again. I'm hoping there will be no more need for this thread and that the issue I created for myself is resolved, lol. Thanks again for your assistance/patience @wittaj!

1709683439770.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I was going to say give it a few minutes to settle down.

Now on the D drive make sure System Restore is off

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm happy to report that we are all clear as far as that goes...:) Many thanks again! You've pulled me out of a jam several times, lol.

1709684289108.png

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey @wittaj , after our last discussion, everything seemed to be working properly. This morning, I awoke and checked the app on my phone and noticed a ton of errors in the log. Those errors were showing all of the camera clips as not being able to be added to the BIDB, failed 112. I've tried to run maintenance, compact and repair database, and then the delete/regenerate option, but it is now showing that the disk is full again. Not sure what is going on, and still cannot figure out why my C drive keeps filling up.
So couple of questions for you;
1. My db file is on my C drive. However, the New folder is on the D drive. When I look at the storage tab in BI settings, it states the database and new folders should remain on a local/fast device. Is my setup ok as is in that respect?
2. Would I be better off trying to back up my BI settings, deactivating, and then performing a fresh install on the PC? I just can't figure out what is taking so much room. I've got 206GB showing in Apps and Features, but when I click on that category, I only see 54 apps, and the storage used comes nowhere near that. Sorted in descending order, these are the top 5 apps in size.

1709827685063.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most of us only have Windows, BI and the DB on the C: drive and NEW on a separate HDD.

Something is certainly going on with yours to be filling up. Possibly a failing drive or maybe a corrupt driver.

I think doing as you said and doing a fresh install is probably what is needed.

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you much for confirming. Guess I’ve got a small little project lined up for this weekend lol. I performed another delete and regenerate. Guess I’ll watch over next couple of days to see if issue persists. If so I will perform the clean install. May even upgrade the ssd and the purple drive just to be safe. Thanks again for all the help @wittaj !