Ethernet surge protector question

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
I picked up an APC Ethernet Surge protector - http://flark.it/cat5esurge - and was wondering if anyone has experience with these? The directions say ground the surge protector to the item you are protecting, in this case a Hikvision bullet, but there isn't a water-less spot to mount the surge protector. I'm wondering if I can install this on the other side of the cable, inside, and ground it to the ground on an outlet in the house?

Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Two options, connect to the center screw in an outlet which is grounded. On a pc you can technically connect it to the case if the pc is connected with a standard 3 prong outlet that has a ground. If you connect it to your camera it will do nothing as the camera itself is not grounded.

as a side note was reading the specs and it says
Data Lines Protected 1-8
(multi-line only)
any idea what that means?
I get that it covers all the twisted pairs 1-8 (some surge protectors dont cover all the lines) but what does muti line only mean?

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think it is alittle overkill for just one camera, but if I were to install one of those, I would install it at the POE switch. And the POE switch should have a 3 prong plug and the outlet would have to have a ground as well.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info and tips guys. Not sure what that means @fenderman and you're right @vector18 it's probably overkill but I temporarily installed this camera with direct burial cable that is only a few inches underground, figured maybe this will help protect it until I trench this summer.

westom

n3wb
Reaction score
...I temporarily installed this camera with direct burial cable that is only a few inches underground, figured maybe this will help protect it until I trench this summer.
Does not matter how deep that wire is. Surge damage occurs with overhead or underground wires. The PNET must be earthed. Earth ground is not safety ground (ie screw on a wall receptacle). Significant and well proven rules apply. And it is the only protection possible for that camera.

Like all electronics, the camera already has serious protection that makes most surges irreelvant. Your concern is one type of surge that typically causes damage. And that occurs maybe once every seven years - a number that can vary significantly even in the same town.

Examples of what must be learned was discussed here at "Lightning / surge issue" on and after 11 Jan 2014 at:
http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=39288