Finally some progress with my cameras.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Almost every big city dweller knows about this trick well at least the observant ones for LONG time. Thats why you get the side mounted garage door opener which connects directly to the pipe that turns the spring. The work around the city criminals figured out was to wedge something at the bottom of the door and lift up enough to get a jack in and the use the jack to basically crush the cheap aluminum of garage doors fold like paper
At a certain point it's easier to just break a window

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
At a certain point it's easier to just break a window
Only issue is the windows are never alley facing at least in Chicago and either high on the sides or yard facing if they even have them at all. Usually the ones with windows are the garage rats like me who spend more time with the dogs in the garage and yard then the house during the summer. There is a reason why i have internet, dishnet and 50 inch tv with surround sound in the garage :O)~

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Nice color on the base of the camera, but why did you not do the front of the camera ?
I did a hikvision turret with plastidip and used some sticky tape to cover the lens,mir etc. That turned out pretty nice.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I suck ass at painting, and I dont trust myself. My wife is amazing at painting, but I don't want her on a ladder until she is done being pregnant. I would really like them painted though.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Added a dome for the garage and painted the face on the outside cams... I'm glad I did too, looks much better! It made no sense for me to hide the wire since the alarm wires from the house are already exposed from whoever installed it.... and it's a garage... who cares...20170312_215920.jpg 20170226_173632.jpg 20170226_173642.jpg 20170226_173623.jpg

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
More paint FTW. :D Fewer people will be noticing your cameras. You do have to be careful with those staple guns sometimes they can damage cables. Wedge on the ceiling looks nice, but I generally prefer a lower right in your face location for the door to the inside of the house.

Are those porch lights integrated led?

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Agreed, the garage cam is purely for my OCD problem of turning around a few mornings a week to make sure the garage is closed.. if anyone gets into the garage they will be ID'ed by the outside cams.

The lights are LED lights with a photocell that Costco sells...got sick of the wife not turning the lights off when she goes to work. :)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed, the garage cam is purely for my OCD problem of turning around a few mornings a week to make sure the garage is closed.. if anyone gets into the garage they will be ID'ed by the outside cams.

The lights are LED lights with a photocell that Costco sells...got sick of the wife not turning the lights off when she goes to work. :)
My first wife of 31 years could turn a light switch on, but could never figure how to turn one off. Same thing with my daughter then (now 37). My lovely wife of the last 10 is only slightly better at it. Maybe it's a gender thing. However, I'll bet their ability to remember to turn off would improve dramatically if they were the one paying the utility company!

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My first wife of 31 years could turn a light switch on, but could never figure how to turn one off. Same thing with my daughter then (now 37). My lovely wife of the last 10 is only slightly better at it. Maybe it's a gender thing. However, I'll bet their ability to remember to turn off would improve dramatically if they were the one paying the utility company!
That's exactly it... if they start paying the bill, things will change. :)

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Smart lights will solve that issue

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Smart lights will solve that issue
You are so right! So many nice gadgets these days that we didn't have in the 70's -90's (uh, most of them). I was fairly 'high tech' at the time by having X10 switches, receptacles and controllers throughout the house.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
No Junction box. If you setup the wires properly with a drip loop, water will not reach anything. All of the PTZ wires are tucked in the mast holding the camera. The Eave of the house also sheds the water past the camera. If I didn't have that, I would silicone or foam the mast to seal it. I also, silicon-ed the bracket to the corner mount, and all bolts(bolts holding bracket and lags going to wood/stucco.
Installation pics? For all the money you paid for that house you probably could have bought one some place without a bunch of uppity yuppy HOA jerk bags who think they are better than everyone else. I simply could not "own" my house, and pay a "fee" to have someone else tell ME what I can do with MY house. :)

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I can take more pics after work I suppose... this was the best of the few choices I had... to get a similar house with the acre I was wanting(no hoa) was about 300k more.... completely out of budget for the life style I live.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I can take more pics after work I suppose... this was the best of the few choices I had... to get a similar house with the acre I was wanting(no hoa) was about 300k more.... completely out of budget for the life style I live.
yeah man, gotta have money for the fast z28 and Metallica shirts. :)

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yep, it's nice being able to own multiple houses instead of being some chump renter... money is good to have.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you bend your PTZ bracket back to a 90 degree angle or was yours off by less?

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Did you bend your PTZ bracket back to a 90 degree angle or was yours off by less?
I shimmed it with one small washer on the top bolts.... was wayyyyy less of an issue compared to the recent complaints from other people...i just put it on a table and added what was needed to get it back to true.

Last edited:

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is it just me or do you have a ton of sky in the first two pictures of the first post? I would think pointing them downward (more like the 3rd picture of the first post) would be able to better get an ID of someone standing right up close to the door better.

Also, do you have any details on how you painted the cameras? Especially the face? Did you just tape off the lense and IR's and hit it with a normal bristle type paint brush?