focusing on the lens - Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret, and seems to be focusing on the lens.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi, I have a Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret, and seems to be focusing on the lense.

I took it apart and cleaned the inside of the case glass and the outside as well,

I also cleaned the focal lens.

When I zoom in or out it gets real blurry and takes a while to focus if at all.

but it did not help.

What am I overlooking?

Thanks Cam6.20221010_053941391.jpg

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It looks to me like you're getting light reflections, either IR or visible, in the lens. What's around/near the camera in terms of light sources? What model is the camera, there are many versions of varifocal turret. Is it actually a turret or is it a dome cmaera?

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It looks to me like you're getting light reflections, either IR or visible, in the lens. What's around/near the camera in terms of light sources? What model is the camera, there are many versions of varifocal turret. Is it actually a turret or is it a dome cmaera?
it is a IPC-HDW5231R-ZE it has been in the same position for a long time, nothing changed and I just started getting this happening.

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
How does it look during the day?

If it's ok how about using an external light source and turning off the internal at night.

Apologies in advance if you've tried already. :)

i also remember there was a thread about issues such sun flare, shutter speed, exposure etc but unable to find it. It had example pictures of the conditions and was very good. Maybe someone has it book marked and can post a link.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Common image issues

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try moving the camera say 20 degrees and see if the spots stay in the same place or not. If the spots are in the same spot then it is something on the glass.

But it looks like you can make out the circular lens which lends me to think that you have IR bleed and the IR seal has rolled or moved.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't think there's an IR seal in a 5231R-Z though. It does look like reflection artifacts though. I see similar things with headlights reflecting in the lens/glass of 5442s as cars, with terrible headlight alignment, go by.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How does it look during the day?

If it's ok how about using an external light source and turning off the internal at night.

Apologies in advance if you've tried already. :)

i also remember there was a thread about issues such sun flare, shutter speed, exposure etc but unable to find it. It had example pictures of the conditions and was very good. Maybe someone has it book marked and can post a link.
look good during the day. the outside has no lights at night, just the built-in IR. the problem just started.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't think there's an IR seal in a 5231R-Z though. It does look like reflection artifacts though. I see similar things with headlights reflecting in the lens/glass of 5442s as cars, with terrible headlight alignment, go by.
yes, there is a rubber seal on it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did the boat just show up? A lot of reflection off the reflectors.

Or it is tiny metal debris in the yard or driveway causing it.

I remember someone here once it looked like starry night when he turned on IR. Turned out his soil has a higher metal content than most and it was reflecting back.

I still think it is the seal has a gap in it though, either that or the circle we see is from a circular cleaning motion.

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
Common image issues
That's the thread I was talking about :)

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I will cover then up tonight just to see if that is what it is? but it has been there all along.
Ok so my first attempt did not work, but there are side reflectors om the trailer, so I am going to block them off and see what happens?

1665457496589.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The spots are still in the same place though (should have moved with the moving reflections) and I see what looks like the lens ring, so I am going for a compromised seal. That or something else is reflecting it.

As I said before now move the camera say 15 degrees or so and see if the spots are in the same spot - if they are then it is the seal or micro cuts on the glass.

Or it could be it looks like a camera IR off to the left and maybe it is sending IR into the lens and causing the issues?

If you turn the IR off on this camera does it go away? If so, then you know it is IR bleed or reflection.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK so I blocked off all the reflectors and still get lens ring and spots.

1665458636009.png

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The spots are still in the same place though (should have moved with the moving reflections) and I see what looks like the lens ring, so I am going for a compromised seal. That or something else is reflecting it.

As I said before now move the camera say 15 degrees or so and see if the spots are in the same spot - if they are then it is the seal or micro cuts on the glass.

Or it could be it looks like a camera IR off to the left and maybe it is sending IR into the lens and causing the issues?

If you turn the IR off on this camera does it go away? If so, then you know it is IR bleed or reflection.
I will take it apart again tomorrow and check out the seal.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

I will try to put some black tape around the camera now and see what happens.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A simpler test is turn off the IR and see if it is still there - if not you know it is IR bounce or bleed.