FreeNAS-11.2-BETA2 problems

happ104610

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently upgraded my FreeNAS server (11.2 Stable Train) to 11.2-BETA2 and everything appears to be working fine with other applications (like Plex) but my Hikvision IP cameras storage is listed as offline for two different cameras. When I click on "Test" from NetHDD, I now get an error:

Mounting to NAS server failed. Invalid directory or incorrect user name/password.

In the prior release of FreeNAS, I updated setting for SMB for Auxiliary parameters to: ntlm auth = yes
I've tried to restart everything (server and camera) a few times but no luck Has anyone had problems with this new release?

Cameras: Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-I
Camera Firmware: V5.5.5 build 180111
FreeNAS: 11.2-BETA2

Art K

n3wb
Reaction score
I wonder if it's an SMB version 1 thing. I use NFS to a Solaris server instead of Samba, and it works great.

That being said, your Samba configuration, either in the smb.conf, or by default, might have SMB V1.0 disabled.

happ104610

n3wb
Reaction score
I wonder if it's an SMB version 1 thing. I use NFS to a Solaris server instead of Samba, and it works great.

That being said, your Samba configuration, either in the smb.conf, or by default, might have SMB V1.0 disabled.
I think this is exactly the problem. I posted to FreeNAS Forum too so this link might be helpful to others: Hikvision IP Camera cannot connect

Apparently the newer FreeNAS update requires a newer more secure version of SMB. I just changed both cameras to NFS so I'm good to go now. I was not able to enable SMB 1.0 via the GUI settings... SMB would fail to start every time I tried. Thanks for the help!

bertofurth

n3wb
Reaction score
I know this is a very old thread but I wanted to contribute because I think it might be relevant
and I want others to be able to see this solution if they search on the error message.

I recently upgraded my NAS from a system running samba v3.x.x to new version v4.13.13. I am using
Debian 11 (Bullseye) on my NAS.

After I upgraded my NAS the Hikvision cameras (which are very old) generated the following
error messages when I tried to remap my storage to the new NAS device.

Mounting to NAS server failed. Invalid directory or incorrect user name/password.

and

Mounting to NAS server failed. No permission.

If you have the ability to ssh into the camera and run "dmesg" to view the
system log you may see some or all of the following messages

Status code returned 0xc000006d NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -13
CIFS: Mount option noac not supported. Instead set /proc/fs/cifs/LookupCacheEnabled to 0

Note that the last message about "Mount option noac not supported" is just a warning
and doesn't actually cause problems.

To fix the issues I had to make sure to add the following lines to the [global] section at the top of
the /etc/samba/smb.conf configuration file on the NAS. The defaults for these options
have changed in modern versions of the SAMBA file server.

server min protocol = LANMAN1
ntlm auth = ntlmv1-permitted
unix extensions = no

Explanation:
server min protocol = LANMAN1
ntlm auth = ntlmv1-permitted
This allows the SAMBA server to use the old SMBv1 version of the samba protocol and the
older authentication protocol. These old versions are less secure than modern versions and
have been disabled by default but unfortunately the old Hikvision firmware requires using
the old less secure versions.

unix extensions = no
Turn off unix extensions like communicating file ownership IDs. If you don't have
this configured then you'll get the "Mounting to NAS server failed. No permission"
error message on the camera.

I also had to make sure that the shared directory being offered to the camera
was completely empty. Sometimes after the "Mounting to NAS server failed.
No permission." message the camera would leave some junk in the share
(a directory called "test") and I had to manually delete it on the NAS.

I hope this helps someone else and saves them the hours it took me to figure this out.