Hangs during scrubbing

Tusabrat

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all

So has anyone had issues where BI is going along nicely, but hangs as soon as you start to scrub?

I've rebooted BI multiple times, rebooted PC multiple times. Soooo frustrated about this issue, as I have the cameras (12) to check on my 4 cats, so often (when hearing squealing) I need to jump and see what is what, but 80% of the time, I have to go to my Tapo app as BI is so glitchy when scrubbing.

And yet... 20% of the time, it scrubs beautifully! The obv answer is that something else is running and interfering, but I've checked and can't see anything. CPU usage is low, space is fine, no other processes hogging threads. I'm at a loss. Anyone had anything similar?

Oh - and when I have to reboot, it takes AGES to rebuild the DB. Storage is set to New 270GB, nothing for Stored and 30GB for Alerts. Storage in the Log file shows healthy.

Using Version 5.7.9.12 on Windows 11 Pro

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all

So has anyone had issues where BI is going along nicely, but hangs as soon as you start to scrub?

I've rebooted BI multiple times, rebooted PC multiple times. Soooo frustrated about this issue, as I have the cameras (12) to check on my 4 cats, so often (when hearing squealing) I need to jump and see what is what, but 80% of the time, I have to go to my Tapo app as BI is so glitchy when scrubbing.

And yet... 20% of the time, it scrubs beautifully! The obv answer is that something else is running and interfering, but I've checked and can't see anything. CPU usage is low, space is fine, no other processes hogging threads. I'm at a loss. Anyone had anything similar?

Oh - and when I have to reboot, it takes AGES to rebuild the DB. Storage is set to New 270GB, nothing for Stored and 30GB for Alerts. Storage in the Log file shows healthy.

Using Version 5.7.9.12 on Windows 11 Pro
Taking a long time to rebuild the DB is a sign of a corrupt DB or dying hard drive. Ensure your database file is on an SSD along with Windows and blue Iris.
Exclude antivirus from bi program and storage folders

Tusabrat

n3wb
Reaction score
Taking a long time to rebuild the DB is a sign of a corrupt DB or dying hard drive. Ensure your database file is on an SSD along with Windows and blue Iris.
Exclude antivirus from bi program and storage folders
Yes, I think you are right, I have just tried to browse the data drive and I'm just getting the spinning icon....

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
When you say it hangs, what exactly does that mean? Like on some of my less stable BI systems I've had Blue Iris crash while trying to scrub through videos, and the service restarts automatically in the background, in the meantime the UI is basically unresponsive so that could be perceived as a hang for 5-10+ seconds.

The clip database indexing thing that happens when you start Blue Iris should be no more than a few seconds. For a system with only 270 GB of clip storage space, the index should take less than 1 second to generate. You can see the time it took in the log or by looking at the database status window. Note this indexing is basically just the time Blue Iris needs to read the existing database from the disk and organize it in memory. It is not the same thing as actually rebuilding the database, which is likely to take at least a few minutes and is not something that should be happening every time you start Blue Iris.

The greatest performance boost I ever made on my continuous-recording BI box was to record first to a 2TB NVMe SSD, then move older clips to a mechanical hard drive with higher capacity. Scrubbing across 24 cameras simultaneously in timeline view, from a hard drive, is painfully slow (3-6 seconds to get all cameras to the right place). Loading from an SSD, it is less than 1 second, more like 300ms if I'm not scrubbing across the boundary between clip files.

Pay attention to endurance ratings if buying an SSD for continuous video recording.

Tusabrat

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks guys! It was the hard disk that was the issue. I ran a scan and repair, and now I can scrub effortlessly again.