Hardware Suggestions for Commercial System

jh2214

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm an IT manager at 40,000 sqft warehouse and have been tasked with revamping the security system which currently consists of 12 x 1 MP analog cameras streaming to an ancient and often malfunctioning DVR. I have a pretty decent budget for the project and I'd love some input so we can get the best setup.

Here's the data load we will have: 16 x 3 MP Cameras, H264 or 265, 15 fps, 24/7 recording

Right now I am thinking of running BlueIris on an Intel Xeon dedicated server, RAID5, 4 TB x 8 HDD.

In the future I am also thinking about setting up an S3 bucket for cloud backup of the footage. Does Blue Iris come with any native features to implement this, or will I have to look for another software? We have 100 Mbps upload speed here so upstream is wide open.

What would be realistic processor requirements for a setup like this? Not sure what I will be needing for 15 3MP cameras. How much RAM would be optimal? Thinking 16 GB but seems it might be a little light.

Thanks guys.

jh2214

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks! Will look into that. Cameras are my least expensive item so I'm not worried too much right now. Trying to nail down the specs I need for a dedicated server to act as my NVR.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm an IT manager at 40,000 sqft warehouse and have been tasked with revamping the security system which currently consists of 12 x 1 MP analog cameras streaming to an ancient and often malfunctioning DVR. I have a pretty decent budget for the project and I'd love some input so we can get the best setup.

Here's the data load we will have: 16 x 3 MP Cameras, H264 or 265, 15 fps, 24/7 recording

Right now I am thinking of running BlueIris on an Intel Xeon dedicated server, RAID5, 4 TB x 8 HDD.

In the future I am also thinking about setting up an S3 bucket for cloud backup of the footage. Does Blue Iris come with any native features to implement this, or will I have to look for another software? We have 100 Mbps upload speed here so upstream is wide open.

What would be realistic processor requirements for a setup like this? Not sure what I will be needing for 15 3MP cameras. How much RAM would be optimal? Thinking 16 GB but seems it might be a little light.

Thanks guys.
Something like this will work, add another 8gb of ram and a purple drive and you're off.
HP EliteDesk 800 G2 Tower PC i7-6700 Quad 3.4GHz 8GB 500GB W10Pro 801113R | eBay

Yes, BI has the option to upload to the cloud.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

jh2214

n3wb
Reaction score
Something like this will work, add another 8gb of ram and a purple drive and you're off.
HP EliteDesk 800 G2 Tower PC i7-6700 Quad 3.4GHz 8GB 500GB W10Pro 801113R | eBay

Yes, BI has the option to upload to the cloud.
As a PC enthusiast at home I know a beefy PC will do the job, but lacks a RAID controller among other things.

I want to implement an enterprise grade solution that is easily scaleable to accept additional MPs and FPS, and disk space on the fly.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.