Has anyone set up a solar street light?

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Like the one above. I would like to light up a larger area of my front yard and was thinking about a solar street light. One of my concerns is that I live in WA state and in the winter months the sun can hide behind the clouds quite often. Just wondering what others may have experienced with these. Do they require full sun to get a full charge?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I think CanCuba has one. He's a long way further South than you though. Beware the numbers of hours of sunlight and intensity (especially in winter) before committing to solar with a small individual light sized panel.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think CanCuba has one. He's a long way further South than you though. Beware the numbers of hours of sunlight and intensity (especially in winter) before committing to solar with a small individual light sized panel.
I think the one installed by CanCuba is normal outdoor LED flood light, not solar powered.

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Beware the numbers of hours of sunlight and intensity (especially in winter) before committing to solar with a small individual light sized panel.
I may just have to go with a wired model. Our winters here can be dark and gloomy.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
@CCTVCam @JDreaming You're both right. I have 4 or 5 solar-powered reflectors and 2 very bright AC-powered reflectors. Both kinds are LED.

Living in the subtropics and my roof not getting any shade at any time of the day or year, the solar ones worked great. What I did find is the more powerful solar reflectors, by wattage, weren't as efficient in lumens as the less powerful reflectors o the same type. The 60w (600w incandescent equivalent) solar reflectors were the best mix but I wasn't getting the coverage on the street that I wanted. But as for reliability, they've been tremendous. The first ones have over 2.5 years usage and still show no signs of slowing down. The batteries seems to be holding up. I purchased them in Mexico.

This is almost exactly what I've purchased in the past: Reflector Lampara Solar Led 50w Para Alumbrado Exterior - $ 498

They come with remotes (although the listed model doesn't for whatever reason) which is nice to be able to adjust the light from a distance but they're virtually universal which means someone else could turn your reflector off. I mounted the panels on the roof and extended the cable to the reflector, if necessary. They use the panel as a sensor to detect the amount of light. When the unit isn't able to charge from the panel, it comes on and turns off again when it's able to charge.

Really, zero issues and up to my property line, they worked great. And for what they cost in Mexico, around $50 USD, they're a steal.

But they didn't have the output that I needed due to lack of street lighting.

So I picked up two of these:
Dusk to dawn sensor so no extra devices required. Comes on well before it's needed and turns off later than needed which is nice. I have a thread showing the video we've been getting off of these lamps. Quite impressive.

My only reservation is that no electricity, no light. The lights rarely go off for any length of time in my area but even a momentary outage shows my vulnerability. I may get a car battery, charger and backup board to have a simple UPS. The boards are cheap on Amazon:

Car battery would be the biggest investment but I'd need a small one as longer outages are only due to hurricanes. Last year, we were almost 5 days without power but that only happens every few years.

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When I first started setting up my new camera system, I installed new hard wired soffit LED lights where my 4K-T cams were. I didn't want to use the onboard lighting because of bugs. I also installed LED soffit lighting on my detached garage and shop. I kinda went all out since I wanted good color night vision. I installed a total of 15 LED soffit lights. I was a little concerned about the additional power consumption until I got my power bill the other day. I was surprised because the bill was $20.00 less than my pre LED power bill. :oops: Not complaining......I'll take it. I do have all these LED light fixtures on smart dimmer switches so maybe being dimmed down they use very little power? Who knows.

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You might try getting a small solar panel, a sealed 12v battery and a cheap charge controller. That would let you put the panel where you want it, and where you can clean it. I have the above items powering my lighted house numbers.

IMG_20221003_203438.jpg

The charge controller will do dawn to dusk or a set time after sunset.

Battery is a Weize brand 18 ah 12 volt:

Charge controller is a Renogy Wanderer Renogy Wanderer Common Positive 10A PWM Solar Charge Controller 12V 24V AGM GEL 816360029960 | eBay amp:

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You might try getting a small solar panel, a sealed 12v battery and a cheap charge controller. That would let you put the panel where you want it, and where you can clean it. I have the above items powering my lighted house numbers.

View attachment 170455

The charge controller will do dawn to dusk or a set time after sunset.

Battery is a Weize brand 18 ah 12 volt:

Charge controller is a Renogy Wanderer Renogy Wanderer Common Positive 10A PWM Solar Charge Controller 12V 24V AGM GEL 816360029960 | eBay amp:
I ended up biting the bullet and ran UF to the location I wanted to put the light. I just didn't want to do all the work and have the solar light underperform in our dark gloomy winters. Before I set up my camera system I didn't have any outdoor lighting at all and it was dark out there. I was intrigued by the color 4K T cameras so I came up with a lighting plan. Instead of putting the cameras where I had the best lighting, I put the cameras exactly where I wanted them and installed the lighting based on the scene from each camera location. This solar light idea really cascaded into a huge project. I wanted the light out in the driveway island landscape that was in front of one of my 4K T's. This island had become pretty run down with nothing but weeds growing in it. I was originally going to just pour a small concrete pad in the island and install the light. Instead this small project turned into me not only installing the light but turning the island into an all rock island landscape with a seating area. I still have the other end to finish but it's coming along. I installed an LED lamp post controlled by a smart switch and have it on the same schedule as the rest of my LED lighting.

Your idea though of buying a solar panel, battery, and controller sparks some other ideas for a future project. It would be an inexpensive way to see how solar works in our winters. 20230818_192437.jpg

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nice. That adds some curb appeal. I think 120v a/c is the way to go for most things. 12v is fiddly, but sometimes if something is remote or has to be independent from the grid, it's the best solution. It's also good from a permitting perspective sometimes.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Nice. Mains probably the way to go. I'm no expert but it can be very expensive to power something continuously by dedicated solar from my investigations even where the device is low powered.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
That looks good!

There isn’t a way to provide “inexpensive” solar powered lighting that is worth a damn. Especially with your northern latitude. Batteries, panels, controllers, etc… add up fast when you want to run a decent LED that is worth its weight.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I put one of these up at the Condo, where a landscape remodel cut the cord to an outdoor lamp pole. It's better than a dark spot at the sidewalk at night. It does a pretty decent job. Of course when we go into our short daylight hours, and sub zero temps, the performance will wane.
its the small light at the left end of the sidewalk....I beats an empty globe growing moss...
1692604258961.pngScreenshot 2021-09-17 110332xcdcdcdcdcdc.png

Last edited:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I have some small wall lights with built in solar panels and they're great. However whilst they last most of the night in summer, in winter they're dead after around 4 hours at best and sometimes don't even come on if there's been a run of very dark days.

They're similar to these (totally unsuitable for CCTV):

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That's where building a solar light from components has an advantage. You can size the panel and battery to keep the light on through a Winter night.

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
(totally unsuitable for CCTV):
That was my biggest concern with using solar lighting for my camera system. I just didn't think it would be reliable enough. It was more work running the cable but unless the power goes out my lights will always work year around.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I have some small wall lights with built in solar panels and they're great. However whilst they last most of the night in summer, in winter they're dead after around 4 hours at best and sometimes don't even come on if there's been a run of very dark days.

They're similar to these (totally unsuitable for CCTV):

If I recall correctly, you're in the not-so-sunny UK. They're really more suitable to locations closer to the equator. I'm in the subtropics and have no problem summer nor winter.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah it depends a lot on location. In more Northern climbs you're looking at shorter days with less sun so bigger batteries than those in built into lights. which then means out sourcing and upsizing the panel to cram energy in during those available hours.

My rough calculations (I'm not a professional nor expert so please consult one rather than relying on this as these could well be wrong or inaccurate) is (I could be writing out a Chinese food menu here for all I know!):

For just 30w of light on during the night:

30w for up to 16hrs a day in Winter = daily power requirement of 16 x 30 = 480w hrs? I'm ignoring the dusk to dawn swicth which would also add to the requirement.

The panel will need to be a minimum of 80w? therfore: - 480 / @ 6 hours of winter daylight on the shortest day = 80w to cram in those 480w hrs in just 6 hours (480/6).

There's a possibility of no or poor generation for days on end if dark or stormy days with no sun. Based on just 3 days of non generation (possibly not enough allowance), you potentially require 480 x 3 = 1.44kw / hrs ? of storage

Roughly - 100W panel = £100-250 depending on the brand ie not widely known brands or top brands

MPPT charge controller - @£100 (brand dependendent) although note the possibility of intelligent charging requirement for maximising lifespan especially for lithium.

Brackets, fixings etc - £100

For storage, 100 w hrs = 8.3 A hrs? (W=VA so A=W/V or 100/12 if 12 volt system = 8.33A).

So in this example we need @ 1.5kw ? storage = 15 x 100w hrs = 15 x 8.33 amps = 124.95 Ahrs so 125A hrs? of storage.

Batteries - 200A lead acid deep cycle @ £260 . A Lithium @ £650 Amazon or £1700 BattleBorn (well known quality brand)

If my maths and methology is correct, 200A should on the face of it clear it and give an extra few couple of days of no sun storage. Also some batteries don't like to go below 20% charge or above 80%, so you may need that factored in along with an intelligent controller that will; keep in those parameters, so usuable battery capacity may actually only be 60% of that stated (200AH x 60% = 120AH) so potentially under 3 days even at 200 ah. Obviously the next battery up or adding addditional batteries in parallel (consult expert before connecting differing sizes, types (almost definite no-no), or brands - I seem to remember they have to be the same size, brand , type and even charge matched before connection is possible - again ask an expert not me!!), adds a lot more cost.

However, even to run just 30W of lighting all night, is potentially costing at least around £700 upfront on lead acid and £2100 on Lithium by my hack up calulations, and that's assuming I've not missed or miscaluclated or under estimated anything and that's on the less than 3 day basis of not including chrage / discharge limits for liefespan maximisation.

Last edited:

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here in WA state we can have weeks on end of dark gloomy, rainy weather in the winter. I would need a setup large enough to power a light for weeks without any charging from the sun.