HDD problem? (HELP!)

AlbertoIt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello guys! as i wrote in another post (Record time doubt) i have a problem with recording time. I have 7 HDW4431M cameras and NVR4208-8P-4KS2 with 2 HDD WD40PURX (total 8tb). According to the disk calculator i should have 25 recording days (setting 20fps, bitrate 4096 and 4MP definition) but i have only 18 days with IVS recording (it records less than 30% of the time). If i set continous recording i have no more than 5 days.
I've tried everything so I started to think about an HDD problem (when the courier delivered them i wasn't at home and the big genious lauched the package from the gate to the door), so i tried with the global detection in NVR menu but the result is "green" so it seems ok (i enclose the results of SMART too...i don't understand those numbers but it says "OK"). Does anyone have any other idea or test i could do? Does it worth to take HDD's off the NVR and test them with a PC?
Any help or suggestion will be appreciated. Thank you!!

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Does that NVR provide you with a view of the incoming bandwidth from the cameras, to validate how close your 4Mbps estimate is for the effective bitrate?

i enclose the results of SMART too...i don't understand those numbers but it says "OK")
It's not likely to be an HDD problem - however the actual SMART detail is the column on the right - hidden in your screenshots.

AlbertoIt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does that NVR provide you with a view of the incoming bandwidth from the cameras, to validate how close your 4Mbps estimate is for the effective bitrate?

It's not likely to be an HDD problem - however the actual SMART detail is the column on the right - hidden in your screenshots.
Hi, look at these pictures, is what you mean for "bandwidth from the cameras"?
Regarding SMART the hidden column is just a column of "OK" for every item...
I enclose a screenshot of camera settings (others are the same).

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 3 utilizzando Tapatalk

AlbertoIt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I forget to mention that I haven't always had this problem since installation. It was everything normal until september (i had at least 2 months recording on archive before), than suddenly i noticed this strange reduction in recording time.

AlbertoIt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've noticed that in Storage-Schedule-Snapshot menù continuous recording 7/7 (green bar for each day of the week) is set. That could be wasting hdd's space?

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've noticed that in Storage-Schedule-Snapshot menù continuous recording 7/7 (green bar for each day of the week) is set. That could be wasting hdd's space?

Set the snapshots to "trigger" in the Schedule. That should minimize the snapshots, and space used.

My guess would be, that it is now taking a snapshot on a given interval, and wasting hdd space.

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I did a rough calculation on my system. If i take a snapshot every second on all camera's (i use 3 with 1920x1080 resolution) it would take up between 60/70 GB each day.

AlbertoIt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did a rough calculation on my system. If i take a snapshot every second on all camera's (i use 3 with 1920x1080 resolution) it would take up between 60/70 GB each day.
In fact, it was taking a picture per second for each camera...

AlbertoIt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
it was set 1 pic per second at resolution 6 1920x1080

AlbertoIt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
60/70gb each day doesn't explain my reduced recording days capacity...it was 10 times less than expected (at least according to hard disk calculator)...

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I do not have an NVR. I use bi.

I would recommend a complete reset and re initialization of you NVR.
pull the hard drives and format them on a different machine. Do a complete read scan and verify there sizes.