Hello to everyone and I need your help on which IP CCTV cam to buy

marts

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello from the UK

I'm looking to get an IP CCTV cam which will work:
  1. At night with no external illumination from my house including no illumination (no IR or light) from the camera - in my location there is street lighting at the front/side/back of my house
  2. Be clear enough so that a moving person and their face is clear at about 50 feet away (with no motion blur)
  3. H265
  4. Compatible with Blue Iris
Can you help?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome,

See this thread for the commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the overall best value in terms of price and performance day and night.

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection

These cameras will all work with BI. They all do H265, but most here prefer to use H264 as the storage savings isn't as advertised and most see overall better picture quality with H264.

The direction of the light is important.

If the person is in between the camera and the streetlight, then it is actually a negative because it is a backlit condition and the face will be in shadows and will be black like this example:

1715175565111.png

So you need to be ok and accept a camera with infrared or white light capabilities because once you dial in your settings to minimize motion blur (shutter 1/120s), you will be surprised how much light is needed.