Help in Choosing NVR/Cameras

Guthdog

n3wb
Reaction score
LOL. It is mostly the frame rates. It takes Blue Iris a lot of CPU time to decode the video when the frame rate is high.
I have to say that the whole thing is intriguing, but I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off with a non-POE HikVision or Dahua system that I could just plug in and go with?

Do all the camera controls work with BI on all the Hikvision and Dahua cameras?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
An NVR is more stable...but your options are more limited...an NVR is plug and play and much more stable...just depends on how much you want to play with it..if you want to set it and forget it got with an NVR...if you are someone who likes things a particular way i would use software NVR...btw if you only need recordings for 5 days xprotect go is something you may want to look at...the free version allows 5 days of recordings...it uses in camera motion detection.
As far as blue iris controls What type? I believe the only ones that work are the PTZ...not brightness/contrast etc...
When comparing hikvision and dahua note that when placed in 2mp mode the hikvision will give you a wider angle of view (horizontal) than in 3mp..in fact i run them in 2mp for that reason...by way of example...in terms horizontal field of view, a 4mm hikvision bullet is about the same as a 2.8mm dahua turret camera. For offices and smaller rooms that you want to cover i would go with the hik 2532 mini dome in 2.8mm....nice coverage...

Guthdog

n3wb
Reaction score
An NVR is more stable...but your options are more limited...an NVR is plug and play and much more stable...just depends on how much you want to play with it..if you want to set it and forget it got with an NVR...if you are someone who likes things a particular way i would use software NVR...btw if you only need recordings for 5 days xprotect go is something you may want to look at...the free version allows 5 days of recordings...it uses in camera motion detection.
As far as blue iris controls What type? I believe the only ones that work are the PTZ...not brightness/contrast etc...
When comparing hikvision and dahua note that when placed in 2mp mode the hikvision will give you a wider angle of view (horizontal) than in 3mp..in fact i run them in 2mp for that reason...by way of example...in terms horizontal field of view, a 4mm hikvision bullet is about the same as a 2.8mm dahua turret camera. For offices and smaller rooms that you want to cover i would go with the hik 2532 mini dome in 2.8mm....nice coverage...
Stable, stable, stable...It really is what I want more than anything else. I'm going to close all the search tabs I have open right now researching i7-4770's, I need to spend my time selling more management contracts.

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
LOL, but one day when your tinkering with your PC and you realise that Blue Iris isn't running cos your PC is not on, you may come up with the cunning plan of having a NVR as a back up plan.... the moral is, get the NVR 1st and have the PC running blue iris as the back up. HikVision cameras and NVR seriously rock :cool:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have blue iris installations running many months without hiccup until i have to update...if you want added assurance that its running use Blue iris tools to monitor that its on.....if you shut off your pc well yeah, its not going to work...its nice to have an NVR as a backup, but blue iris is so much more powerful if you want to customize alerts, how the cameras display on the screen, motion detection..etc...You are correct that NVR's are more trouble free and easier to maintain..but you loose lots of options...the best bet is blue iris + cheap NVR that records 24/7 or cameras with sd card...this way you always have the footage and can still customize.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a few of the eyesurv aka dahua nvrs. No major problems with mine. Recently tried the 1mp line of cameras and they worked nice for price but the pigtail had a huge block.

I think hikvision has a larger amount of camera types and on the next job I'm gonna go hikvision from lts security