HFW5231E-Z12E image degraded

mrcleanstl

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi - I purchased this camera in late 2018 and it has been in service since early 2019. I noticed the other day that the image quality had become washed out, flat, grey. I went through all of the usual steps to try and correct it, reboot, factory default, hard power cycle and then the reset button with no change in image quality. I've replaced it with the IPC-B52IR-Z12E S2, but before I write it off as non-repairable, I wanted to drop a post here to see if anyone else has had this issue.

Reaction score
Which is definitely not glass as the quotes suggest. I just replaced the lens cover on one of my old ones that I couldn’t bring myself to throw away. For $5 and change a local glass company cut me a new one out of real glass. Re-glued it in with black automotive silicone. They said there’s no guarantee on how long it will last but just testing indoors it’s absolutely a huge difference. Maybe one of these days I’ll figure out somewhere to install it again
IMG_0565.jpeg

mrcleanstl

n3wb
Reaction score
Which is definitely not glass as the quotes suggest. I just replaced the lens cover on one of my old ones that I couldn’t bring myself to throw away. For $5 and change a local glass company cut me a new one out of real glass. Re-glued it in with black automotive silicone. They said there’s no guarantee on how long it will last but just testing indoors it’s absolutely a huge difference. Maybe one of these days I’ll figure out somewhere to install it again
Interesting idea. I thought about trying to polish the lens as it looks like your example. I will pull it apart and see if I can find a local glass company to to the same.

Reaction score
Disassemble it down to just the front outer black frame and take both pieces in (frame & lens cover), they should be able to fix you up. I will admit they quoted me just over $9 but said they were able to use a scrap piece. Again it’s still sitting on the shelf so I have no idea how it will hold up outside. A heat gun on low really helped to get the old piece out

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a HFW5241E-Z12E that has had a smudge on the lens cover since day one. You can see the smudge on the left just above the LPR camera name. I had it down today and that smudge is actually Kanji writing on the glass. If you look at the second picture, you can see a curved scratch in the glass. That is a keyhole shape with the writing in it. Since I have seen the actual camera, I can even make out the Kanji just to the left of the curve and behind the reflection of my shop light. I wonder if that keyhole was a pull tab to remove a plastic film protective cover? I do not remember ever getting a camera with a film over the glass. But that is not uncommon on screens so they do not get scratched prior to sale. I have tried to get the film off with my finger nail and cannot. The rest of the lens is not so bad that it is a show stopper but taking it to a glass cutter might be an option at some point.Smudge.jpgIMG_20240228_121430.jpg

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
If it's poly carbonate, there are plastic polishes on the market that might enable scratches and uv fogging to be polished out. As for glass, low iron glass is the clearest although I'm unable to comment on suitability.