Hikvision 21 IP Cameras 6 TB Hard drive

mitch.gray

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I seem to only be getting 2 days recording with 21 IP cameras connected to my Hikvsion. I have just changed the Frame rate from 20 to 10 in Parameters. It has to be set to Recording nonstop for emergency purposes.
Could anyone please recommend What else I can change without completely loosing the picture in quality?

Thank you

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi,
I seem to only be getting 2 days recording with 21 IP cameras connected to my Hikvsion. I have just changed the Frame rate from 20 to 10 in Parameters. It has to be set to Recording nonstop for emergency purposes.
Could anyone please recommend What else I can change without completely loosing the picture in quality?

Thank you
Can your recorder handle 2 hard drives?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have just changed the Frame rate from 20 to 10 in Parameters.
It's the aggregate bitrate that will determine the rate of storage consumption.
What are the bitrates that are configured for the cameras?

What codec is configured for the cameras?
If h.265 is available and supported by the NVR this will double or more the recording history over h.264
VBR instead of CBR can also provide a good reduction in storage consumption.

You could experiment with some settings here (there are many other storage calculators) :

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
on my system a 2 MP camera running at 15 FPS, Iframe 15, VBR, H.264, best quality, 6144 Kb/s. Uses between 1.1 and 2.2 GB/Hour in storage during the daylight. The amount of storage has a lot to do with the amount of motion and the complexity of the image. The storage is about 0.6 GB at night, black and white with no motion.

What are your camera settings. Frame rate, frame size (2MP,4MP,8MP) , compression type, , bit rate, quality, ? A screen shot of a few of your cameras video configuration screen would help.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ll give you my perspective as to how it’s done in enterprise or those wanting their cake and eating it too.

Edge Recording: Highest capacity the individual camera system will take while set to maximum resolution using high endurance branded media.

FTP / NAS: You can have the camera or NVR send the same video / images to a larger network storage for long term archival and later review / retrieval.

NVR / PC: Set the system to record high vs low resolution (secondary) streamed video. Set the system to archive high resolution videos for X days / months. Schedule low resolution (secondary) video for deletion after X days, weeks, months.

Ultimately, all the compression, bit rate, streams, in the world does not supersede the need for more storage when longer periods need to be viewed.

Cloud: I’m not a fan or proponent of using any cloud service especially for security purposes. But, for the average user all of the major vendors from Amazon, Apple, Google, Microsoft, Drop Box etc. Offer terabyte storage for reasonable monthly prices.

Going this route in some form can allow you to send specific camera feeds to these cloud services for longer storage. The benefits are off site data retention, redundancy, remote access, while reducing up front costs for hardware and long term electricity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk