HIKVision cameras and network issues

Reaction score
Hi there, long time reader, new member, and first time poster looking for some guidance. Thank you in advance...

We recently added two HIKVision DS-2CD3132 cameras to our network however we are having major issues since adding them. Essentially, the cameras are bringing down the entire network and cutting off both hardwired access and wifi access to the internet and even to the router config page. I have configured the cameras appropriately and am able to view/monitor/record using my laptop and BlueIris software. No issues with the cameras themselves as they seem to operate well.

The issue I believe is with the router. It seems that when I open the ports for the cameras (port 8686 and port 8787, one port per camera) and reserve an IP address for each by their respective MAC addresses, that's when the issues occur. The Wifi network on the Ubiquiti access point is active and connectable, however all internet access is cut even if hardwired via ethernet directly to the router. Also, I cannot access the router's config page at 192.168.0.1 even with ethernet. To resolve this, I have to factory reset the router and start over.

The network is setup like this:
Modem --> Router --> Switch
The only items connected to the router are the Ubiquiti Access Point via 75' CAT6 and the Netgear 8 port switch.
The 8 port switch has the NAS drive and the 2 cameras connected to it as well as 5 of our home's ethernet wall sockets.

Is this an issue with how I am configuring the static IPs for the router, opening the ports, or something else? Could it be that the 2 cameras are overloading the link between the router and the switch?

What am I missing? What else can I try?

Gear list:
Router: TP-Link Archer C9 w/WiFi disabled
Modem: Motorola Surfboard SB6183
Switch: Netgear GS-208 8 port gigabit switch
Wifi Access Point: Ubiquiti AC-AP-LITE (for all WiFi access)
NAS Drive: WD MyCloud 4TB (for DLNA hosting and IP camera recordings)
Cameras: 2x HIKVision DS-2CD3132 connected to the Netgear switch each using a TrendNet POE Injector (TPE-113GI). Configured for 1080P at 15fps, max bitrate of 4096kpbs, record on motion only via BlueIris and recording on the NAS drive.

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So the traffic should only be routed within the switch if it is working as you describe. ?

Sent from my One Plus X using tapatalk

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Turn off all pnp settings on the cameras if you have any to start with

Reaction score
Correct. The NAS and the two cameras are all connected to the switch. The issue exists whether or not I have BlueIris running on my laptop which is connected to WiFi. I dont think its an issue with the recording because they wont record without BlueIris running. I must be mixing up some settings or something but the cams just destroy our internet access.

WiFi is disabled on the router and only operates on the Ubiquiti access point.

Reaction score
Turn off the UPnP in the HIKVision settings page? I currently have it enabled. What does this do, exactly?

Here are my setup instructions I used from a youtube video I found.

1. Connect ONE camera at a time.
2. Download SADP software from HIKVISION http://overseas.hikvision.com/us/Tools_82.html
3. IP default 192.0.0.64 change to 192.168.0.118 (if available)

Port 8686

Change subnet mask to same as local network (run ipconfig, /all)

IPv4 is 192.168.0.1

Uncheck Enable DHCP

Enter default PW which is 12345

SAVE

Close SADP

4. Open browser, open new tab, enter 192.168.0.118

5. Login page - UN is admin, PW is 12345, enter to login - live view is visible

6. Configuration tab, advanced config, security section

7. click on admin, modify, change new PW

8. System section, Device information, change name of camera "front door" or "Front house". Device number should be last 3 of IP (118), save

9. Choose time settings, change time zone

10. Select network section on left, view TCPIP tab to confirm settings

11. NIC is AUTO, DHCP is unchecked, ROUTE Advertisement in drop down (IPv6 mode)

12. Port tab, port should be 8686

13. Enable UPnP tab, leave prior tabs as is, change friendly name and save

14. NAT tab, enable port mapping, set to AUTO

15. Platform: leave unchecked

16. Video/Audio on the left menu, main stream (normal), change to 1920x1080p, bit rate is variable, vid quality is higher, 15fps, 4096 max bitrate, h264 codec, main profile, Iframe interval at 40, SVC is on

17. Image tab: AUTO night/day, image adjustments, smart IR off, sensitivity at 4, filter time to 5, DNR at 90,

OSD tab at top: deselect display week, enter camera name again "front house"

18. Events on left: disable the HIKVISION motion detection - blueiris will manage this

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you don't know and don't have any use for it, turn it off for now. Also. Make it more basic and simple, connect only 1 camera and plug your computer with bi in to the switch. So it will be easier to identify to the "problem"

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I have a use for it as I don't understand what the plug-n-play feature accomplishes. I will try to turn it off and try a direct connection as well. Im fairly sure its not the recording that is causing the issue as the issue still exists without BI running but I will try the direct connection to the switch.

Thank you very much for your insight thus far. Keep it coming, please. Do you see any issues with the setup or the settings I used?

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
its better you post some screen shots of your actual settings , I know you followed the guide but sometimes one makes a mistake =)

Reaction score
Very true. I'm at work now so Im not able to post the settings now but I will post them up later today for some feedback. I read into the UPnP and now Im wondering if that is interfering with the ports Im choosing. If I understand it correctly, UPnP automatically selects the ports vs. me setting (manually) the port to 8686 and opening it up on the router. Could that one check box really be the resolution?

Will post full settings later. Thanks again

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
no I dont think it is the problem. but one thing less to interfere =). and if you do it manually anyway there is no use for pnp

Reaction score
Understood. You had my hopes up that it was a simple check box fix :sad2: I will give it a shot and report back as well as post the settings. Im stumped. Could it be a hardware limitation? My gut tells me it's in the settings somewhere rather than hardware.