Hikvision Firmware oddities

Peeper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Things popping up in my router logs caused me to double check devices on my network. I discovered an older Hikvision camera on my network, also with older firmware. This one:

DS-2CD2025FHWD-I

It has a serial number indicating origin around 2018. I long ago updated all Hikvision cameras to at least version 5.6 of firmware, somehow this one is running an older version. 5.5.x. Somehow it was bypassed. I downloaded the appropriate firmware for this model, tried to update, no success. After starting the update, it ... reports ... it is updating the firmware-- but it never succeeds. Hmmm. I probably believed it updated earlier, and it probably failed the update back then as it is doing now. Without me noticing.

I have had other Hikvision cameras that would not permit a firmware update-- I toss those aside. But this camera is the exact same model as other cameras I have successfully updated. The others updated firmware without problem. Only this camera is problematic.

I have not done a hard factory reset then tried to update firmware after that. I did read somewhere that certain firmware updates need to be in sequence, and that maybe I also need a prior or interim firmware version. Frankly, Hikvisions firmware versions are so screwy (across multiple websites) that if I need to go find an intermediate version of firmware I will just turn the camera into a boat anchor.

Time to hard reset, or any other ideas?

Peeper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
btw the router oddities are something like:

[DoS attack:ACK_Scan] from source: 158.140.165.67,port 49733, Monday, April 01, 2024 05:08:01
[DoS attack:SYN_flood] from source: 192.168.1.11,port 63202, Monday, April 01, 2024 05:04:53
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.2)] to MAC address f4:e2:c6:13:b3:69, Monday, April 01, 2024 05:03:46
[DoS attack:ACK_Scan] from source: 158.140.165.87,port 44839, Monday, April 01, 2024 05:03:34

Using Whois says the external IP 158.140.165.67 is from Indonesia, so I presume it is sniffing my router.

The oddity is from 192.168.1.11 which is an IP not used in my system. Based on this I suspect something inside my network is sniffing around but masking what IP it is actually coming from. I see this same activity but the reported IP changes and is usually from an IP that is not in use.

My consumer router will not block IP's by world region such as Indonesia. I have a better router on order that will do so.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have had other Hikvision cameras that would not permit a firmware update-- I toss those aside. But this camera is the exact same model as other cameras I have successfully updated. The others updated firmware without problem. Only this camera is problematic.
A likely possibility is the firmware is not valid for that model variant.
For many models, admittedly generally more recent than 2018 manufacture, there have been multiple firmware versions for the same specific model due to small hardware variations as supply chain issues have required the use of different components in manufacture.