Hikvision LPR - Often misses characters - DS-2CD4A26FWD-IZS/P

calypsoZA

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi
I have a set of Hikvison DS-2CD4A26FWD-IZS/P cameras. Im just really struggling to get them to detect correctly. Seems that they often miss characters no matter what I set the detection size too. Recently updated to what seems to be the most recent firmware (V5.4.5 build 201026) which seems to have lowered the performance.

While the images of the plates are clear, often a character in the middle is missing.

Any top tips on how to solve this? Or links to any firmware which might resolve the issue? Tried to work with the local distributor but the support has not been great.

Thanks

Attachments

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thats really old model of LPR camera u got. I believe it didnt support alot of regions and fonts. Hence problems

calypsoZA

n3wb
Reaction score
Thats really old model of LPR camera u got. I believe it didnt support alot of regions and fonts. Hence problems
It is a little old now, but was more current when it got it. It just seemed to perform a lot better on the old firmware.
Were these old cameras just no good at LRP?

calypsoZA

n3wb
Reaction score
I just find it a bit weird as it has no issues with the font or the number of characters, it just skips a character here and there with the new firmware, which makes it nearly useless.

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
We had same problem with our country licence plates on this cam.

The thing is it is also strict on how it is installed,which can greatly improve accuracy.

The new model 7A26G0/P-IZHS is so much better. If you dont want headache and have a spare. Id suggest new LPR, or try downgrading firmware to one it worked for you.

calypsoZA

n3wb
Reaction score
We had same problem with our country licence plates on this cam.

The thing is it is also strict on how it is installed,which can greatly improve accuracy.

The new model 7A26G0/P-IZHS is so much better. If you dont want headache and have a spare. Id suggest new LPR, or try downgrading firmware to one it worked for you.
Just feels like a risky option, I could replace and be in the same issue. As we can see there is no recognising characters, just the issue is recognising all of them. The other issue is that I need a camera that is compatible with NX Witness. This fitted the bill at the time.

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just feels like a risky option, I could replace and be in the same issue. As we can see there is no recognising characters, just the issue is recognising all of them. The other issue is that I need a camera that is compatible with NX Witness. This fitted the bill at the time.
Last thing u can do is factory reset and slightly reposition the camera itself. Incoming plate should be read at 30°, height atleast 1.5meter.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's why we say don't update for kicks and grins and don't update unless the release notes specifically say it is fixing an issue you are having.

We have seen ANPR cameras intentionally with a firmware update drop the allowable FPS and drop the ability to read plates of a certain country.

While your plates are very large and legible, you are dealing with a camera trying to read every plate from every country and the algorithm is not constantly being updated. Some people in the USA have reported less than 30% success rate with ANPR built into the camera.

It is why many of us go to a third party plate reader that is constantly improving their algorithm like OpenALPR.

calypsoZA

n3wb
Reaction score
It's why we say don't update for kicks and grins and don't update unless the release notes specifically say it is fixing an issue you are having.

We have seen ANPR cameras intentionally with a firmware update drop the allowable FPS and drop the ability to read plates of a certain country.

While your plates are very large and legible, you are dealing with a camera trying to read every plate from every country and the algorithm is not constantly being updated. Some people in the USA have reported less than 30% success rate with ANPR built into the camera.

It is why many of us go to a third party plate reader that is constantly improving their algorithm like OpenALPR.
Didnt quite do it for kicks. The previous firmware would always leave the last digit off on a 10 char plate. So I was hoping that the newer firmware might resolve the issue. No changelogs are available for the firmware so its a bit of a guess as to if its gonna help.