HikVision NVR & Cameras best practice installation

Reaction score
Hi I've just purchased a DS-7608NINVR and some DS-2CD2142FWD-I POE cameras, is there a best practice to setting up and configuring these? I'd like them all on 24/7 motion record.

Originally I had one camera recording to my Synology Surveillance station. When I set this up various people recommended setting up the motion detection on the camera. Is this still the same if using the HikVision NVR? Any other recommendations? I found the default motion settings a bit sensitive to clouds etc but I guess that just needs some adjustment once installed!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Originally I had one camera recording to my Synology Surveillance station. When I set this up various people recommended setting up the motion detection on the camera. Is this still the same if using the HikVision NVR?
There is some detailed configuration to be done directly on the camera, but mostly, assuming that you have fairly up-to-date firmware on your NVR, you will be able to set up the video, and the event / smart events configuration and actions directly on the NVR. The level of capability here depends on the firmware version, though generally anything after 3.2.1 should provide good coverage.
On the assumption that you have a /P NVR with PoE ports for the camera, worth checking is if the 'Virtual Host' feature is available, and active. "Network | Advanced settings | Other"
This creates a column of links under Camera Configuration that allows direct access to the camera web GUI.
With this you will be able to both tweak any small things that the NVR control of the camera does not cover, and see what would be best to configure via the NVR's command of the camera.
When you have everything set as you want it - it's a good idea to save a suitably-named copy of the NVR and IPC device configurations, via the maintenance menu.

Reaction score
There is some detailed configuration to be done directly on the camera, but mostly, assuming that you have fairly up-to-date firmware on your NVR, you will be able to set up the video, and the event / smart events configuration and actions directly on the NVR. The level of capability here depends on the firmware version, though generally anything after 3.2.1 should provide good coverage.
On the assumption that you have a /P NVR with PoE ports for the camera, worth checking is if the 'Virtual Host' feature is available, and active. "Network | Advanced settings | Other"
This creates a column of links under Camera Configuration that allows direct access to the camera web GUI.
With this you will be able to both tweak any small things that the NVR control of the camera does not cover, and see what would be best to configure via the NVR's command of the camera.
When you have everything set as you want it - it's a good idea to save a suitably-named copy of the NVR and IPC device configurations, via the maintenance menu.
Thanks, I'm planning to put everything on the latest firmware before I start.

What's the detailed configuration on the camera that you've mentioned?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm planning to put everything on the latest firmware before I start.
That may not be a good move - depending on the region of your NVR. You might break it.
What firmware is it currently running?
What's the detailed configuration on the camera that you've mentioned?
Some system settings such as time server, DST, IR enable for example.
All of the network settings - though the basics will be enforced by the NVR in Plug&Play mode.
Some minor video settings such as I-frame, DNR, BLC etc

Reaction score
That may not be a good move - depending on the region of your NVR. You might break it.
What firmware is it currently running?

Some system settings such as time server, DST, IR enable for example.
All of the network settings - though the basics will be enforced by the NVR in Plug&Play mode.
Some minor video settings such as I-frame, DNR, BLC etc
Ha, right ok, I haven't taken the NVR out of the box yet, the camera is already installed and on the latest UK firmware.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I find it a challenge to configure my setup, and the documentation to be unclear for a large part.
the last version of the dvr software was an improvement.

I now finally see the vca events in green on the timeline. (Continiously is blue, motion is red)
so perhaps i did the right things, but the dvr was running outdated software ?

Reaction score
I find it a challenge to configure my setup, and the documentation to be unclear for a large part.
the last version of the dvr software was an improvement.

I now finally see the vca events in green on the timeline. (Continiously is blue, motion is red)
so perhaps i did the right things, but the dvr was running outdated software ?
Yeah, I think I'm just going to have to play with it.