I have analysis, paralysis on PC choice... Help please!

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my really old OptiPlex 3010. I have 16 cameras, 10 5442s, the rest a mix of 5MP and 4MP... all running CPAI. I need help selecting the right PC and GPU card. I've spent a lot of time looking at different setups, just can't pull the trigger. My budget is ~$600 for the PC and GPU, any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my really old OptiPlex 3010. I have 16 cameras, 10 5442s, the rest a mix of 5MP and 4MP... all running CPAI. I need help selecting the right PC and GPU card. I've spent a lot of time looking at different setups, just can't pull the trigger. My budget is ~$600 for the PC and GPU, any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated!
Hi @105437

Why do you need a GPU ? CPAI ? .. if so what are the requirements ?

Is the current system hitting limits ?

( general rule is 89th gen i5/i7 or better .. enough room in case for SSD and at least one HDD )

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Hi @105437

Why do you need a GPU ? CPAI ? .. if so what are the requirements ?

Is the current system hitting limits ?

( general rule is 89th gen i5/i7 or better .. enough room in case for SSD and at least one HDD )
Thanks @mat200, my assumption is that CPAI will benefit from GPU for faster recognition etc. I have 16 cameras using CPAI and when someone enters my property, there will likely be 6 cameras triggered within a 30 second timeframe. When this occurs, the current BI PC spikes CPU at 100% until the cameras are finished processing the triggers.

Would something like this be a good option for me?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks @mat200, my assumption is that CPAI will benefit from GPU for faster recognition etc. I have 16 cameras using CPAI and when someone enters my property, there will likely be 6 cameras triggered within a 30 second timeframe. When this occurs, the current BI PC spikes CPU at 100% until the cameras are finished processing the triggers.

yes, should work significantly better than your current one ..

many seem to like the HP business class machines ..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Do ALL 16 cameras need CPAI?

You mention you have ten 5442 cameras - is the camera built-in AI not good enough for your needs?

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Do ALL 16 cameras need CPAI?

You mention you have ten 5442 cameras - is the built-in AI not good enough for your needs?
Yes, the FOV for the cameras are all different. It's a large property. I haven't experimented with the onboard AI of the 54IRs. When I did try it on my 5442s, I felt like CPAI was better. I'm willing to test the 54IRs and see how they perform. I'll search for a thread that explains how to set up ONVIF triggers for BI.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
WOW - that certainly isn't the normal experience with the 5442s. Unless you need more than human or vehicle, most find the 5442 AI to be superior.

Where you using default/auto settings? That has a big impact on performance.

Here is how to use the camera AI:

Go into the camera and set up smart plan with IVS, then go to the IVS screen and draw IVS rules (tripwire or intrusion box) and then select the AI you want it to trigger on (human or vehicle).

Then in BI, there are a few places you need to set this up in BI (assuming you already set up the IVS rules in the camera GUI):

In Camera configure setting check the box "Get ONVIF triggers".

Hit Find/Inspect on the camera setting to pull the coding for the triggers.

Go into Motion Setting and select the "Cameras digital input" box or "External/ONVIF" depending on your BI version, but it will be the check box under Motion.

On the Alerts tab uncheck the Motions Zones tab (those are alerting you to any BI motion in those areas in Zones A thru H)

On the alerts tab set up how to be notified.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
WOW - that certainly isn't the normal experience with the 5442s. Unless you need more than human or vehicle, most find the 5442 AI to be superior.

Where you using default/auto settings? That has a big impact on performance.

Here is how to use the camera AI:

Go into the camera and set up smart plan with IVS, then go to the IVS screen and draw IVS rules (tripwire or intrusion box) and then select the AI you want it to trigger on (human or vehicle).

Then in BI, there are a few places you need to set this up in BI (assuming you already set up the IVS rules in the camera GUI):

In Camera configure setting check the box "Get ONVIF triggers".

Hit Find/Inspect on the camera setting to pull the coding for the triggers.

Go into Motion Setting and select the "Cameras digital input" box or "External/ONVIF" depending on your BI version, but it will be the check box under Motion.

On the Alerts tab uncheck the Motions Zones tab (those are alerting you to any BI motion in those areas in Zones A thru H)

On the alerts tab set up how to be notified.
I'm testing and the IVS tripwire is turning red as someone walks through it. I made the changes in BI as noted, but no alert clips are showing up in BI for the test camera and I'm not receiving any notifications. This shows in the log file as well.
4/23/2024 4:27:12.760 PM Garage_Cam ONVIF Event: RuleEngine/LineDetector/Crossed

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm testing and the IVS tripwire is turning red as someone walks through it. I made the changes in BI as noted, but no alert clips are showing up in BI for the test camera and I'm not receiving any notifications. This shows in the log file as well.
4/23/2024 4:27:12.760 PM Garage_Cam ONVIF Event: RuleEngine/LineDetector/Crossed
@wittaj Okay, I think I have it sorted out now and things are working using the camera AI. Is there a way for the push notifications to state if it's a person or vehicle? I can do that with CPAI alerts.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@wittaj Okay, I think I have it sorted out now and things are working using the camera AI. Is there a way for the push notifications to state if it's a person or vehicle? I can do that with CPAI alerts.
Yes. Make an IVS rule for person and an IVS rule for vehicle.

And rename the IVS rule to person and vehicle, respectfully.

Then follow the steps I posted in the Spotter thread where you set up a "contains" rule and put in person or vehicle.