Images from thieves at work

Coal_Cracker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This guy grabbed a bunch of copper and rolled out the other morning. I asked the yard supervisor for some pictures of the vehicle so I could keep an eye out for them since I work night shift. Needless to say I was less than impressed.
From where I can see the cams they look like the Color 4KT. They have them mounted under the lights on the poles in various locations in the yard. The images and video I’d say are pretty unusable.
The yard is lit like a stadium they should be getting sharp images but no so much. Lots of ghosting and blur. They are pictures of the screen but still if you pause the video you get some serious ghosting effects.
View attachment IMG_2995.mov

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A camera on auto/default settings rarely produces winning captures.

Further the 4KT has been proven to be a worthy overview camera, but the narrow focus depth gives it a limited locations to be used for identify.

It is hard to tell distances off the video but I suspect this is also a case of trying to do too much with one field of view.

Coal_Cracker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
A camera on auto/default settings rarely produces winning captures.

Further the 4KT has been proven to be a worthy overview camera, but the narrow focus depth gives it a limited locations to be used for identify.

It is hard to tell distances off the video but I suspect this is also a case of trying to do too much with one field of view.
You defiantly hit the nail on the head. They have all the cams set for overview, I'm in the office with the monitor all the time. When the car is at it closest to the cam I'd say that is about 30 ft.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
That camera is mounted too high and has too wide of a field of view to be of any use for identification purposes. It will work as a good overview camera, (once the settings are dialed in and taken off auto) but that is all that should be expected from it.

It's probably not worth adding enough cameras to have identification detail over 100% of the lot, but I bet there are a couple of "choke points" where a couple of cameras with much narrower fields of view could be installed that would help greatly in any future identification needs.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This guy grabbed a bunch of copper and rolled out the other morning. I asked the yard supervisor for some pictures of the vehicle so I could keep an eye out for them since I work night shift. Needless to say I was less than impressed.
From where I can see the cams they look like the Color 4KT. They have them mounted under the lights on the poles in various locations in the yard. The images and video I’d say are pretty unusable.
The yard is lit like a stadium they should be getting sharp images but no so much. Lots of ghosting and blur. They are pictures of the screen but still if you pause the video you get some serious ghosting effects.
How does a camera "look" like a color 4kt?
Some much wrong as noted with the mounting and wide angle for a detailed shot...settings also matter...cameras are not plug and play...

Coal_Cracker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How does a camera "look" like a color 4kt?
Some much wrong as noted with the mounting and wide angle for a detailed shot...settings also matter...cameras are not plug and play...
The physical appearance of the camera on the pole.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah 30 feet and at that height is WAY TOO FAR to identify for a 2.8mm or 3.6mm fixed lens. At that distance a different camera is needed.

As pointed out, some varifocals optically zoomed in to pinch points would be needed.

Coal_Cracker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah 30 feet and at that height is WAY TOO FAR to identify for a 2.8mm or 3.6mm fixed lens. At that distance a different camera is needed.

As pointed out, some varifocals optically zoomed in to pinch points would be needed.
That will never happen, they are so cheap I was shocked when they installed cameras and lights a couple years ago. All they do is watch the cats and raccoons fight at night. LOL.