Install method for a wall mount on stick built with brick exterior

64rbge

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey all. Finally getting close to mounting some cameras.

I have a question on the proper way to mount to an exterior brick wall(above a garage door where there are no soffits accessible or low enough).
I'm attaching an image of the wall construction(as far as I'm aware).
I'm planning to use one of these turret mounts for a dahua camera that I bought a while back. Plan is to use masonry anchors to attach.
Camera is a dahua turret, model number escapes me at the moment.

My main question is how to best prevent water intrusion.
A silicone seal around the top, sides, and some of the bottom of the mount seems appropriate.

What about the hole for the ethernet? My thought was to drill in at a slight upward angle(exaggerated in image) so any moisture behind the brick is less likely to come to the inside.
Smaller is better so I'll minimize hole size.
Any other things I should try to do?

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
That looks good on paper but can't ever tell what you're going to run into until you're there. Scope it out as well as you can before you start.

You don't really need to seal around the outside of those mounts. The cam is already sealed as well as it's going to be. Put dielectric grease on the connection, use the weather-resistant coupling, wrap that up good and tuck it inside at the top. Seal the through hole with duct seal. If you can get it at an angle, then great.

Get a couple of good quality masonry bits so you're not just hammering on it and not getting anywhere as you will be with the cheap ones. Mortar is easier to go through and easier to repair than brick.

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
CoaxSeal is an amazing product and recommended frequently on this forum.

Buy good quality LONG masonry bits, and drill from small to the size you need. Milwaukee Shockwave at Home Depot is one such brand, hammer drill not needed on my install. I went 1/16, 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, might need 5/16 and you should be good.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That looks good on paper but can't ever tell what you're going to run into until you're there. Scope it out as well as you can before you start.

You don't really need to seal around the outside of those mounts. The cam is already sealed as well as it's going to be. Put dielectric grease on the connection, use the weather-resistant coupling, wrap that up good and tuck it inside at the top. Seal the through hole with duct seal. If you can get it at an angle, then great.

Get a couple of good quality masonry bits so you're not just hammering on it and not getting anywhere as you will be with the cheap ones. Mortar is easier to go through and easier to repair than brick.
This above.gif