install opinion 5442T & PFB204W or PFA130-E

hermaninthehood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hi guys, long time reader looking for install opinion or suggestion..
I've been thinking and planning this install for a while now and you know you think you've thought of everything but last min before install thought i'd post here (maybe something i haven't thought of)

so background: i buy all my IPC gear from @EMPIRETECANDY (Hi nice guy Andy!) what a nice dude.
I live in the city, in a townhouse, and this is for a rooftop patio install. the point of this comment is that unfortunately we don't have all the luxuries of you country folk or detached homes in that we share walls, or sometimes don't own exterior elements)

the pictures below show the plan, any opinions?

I don't own behind the wall where this is to be installed so I can't simply go through the wall for cable in this instance.
IMG_5202.jpg

using vinyl siding mounting block (and duct seal around the block - (and the PFB204W? probably)
IMG_5214 (1).jpg

learning towards this with PFB204W (but also see below)
IMG_5205 (1).jpgIMG_5207 (1).jpg

cable can be tucked into siding SIDE to go into the house... (tucked in photo is for example illustration, i'll probably be going against/under the white middle piece not all the way to the floor)
cable is Cat6 Monoprice OUTDOOR / UV and White (dont have a problem crimping bulk cables, but most bulk outdoor/UV is black) so in this instances what I have should work out fine, i plan to punch it down into a keystone jack inside anyways)
IMG_5210 (1).jpg

so i'm learning towards above..

BUT- I also have an extra PFA130-E around but in this instance it's a little bulky to use with liquid tight conduit for the look and location...
IMG_5216 (1).jpg
OR
IMG_5217 (1).jpg

the PFA130-E mount will offer more weatherproof/ seal with conduit (without the use of duct seal on PFB204W because of mounting block)..
either way it's a little bulky look (after flexible liquid tight conduit is coming out of it), but I appreciate any and all comments or suggestions!

i'm hoping someone can point out something I haven't thought of yet..... thanks!

oh yes, lastly the idea is to have view basically like this test below of my rooftop access door, and modest 400sq ft rooftop deck... (you can catch a hint of what city in the top right corner haha)
dont mind the dirty floor it needs a powerwash before we re-do everything up there furniture wise)
IMG_4994.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
the PFA130-E mount will offer more weatherproof/ seal with conduit (without the use of duct seal on PFB204W because of mounting block)..
either way it's a little bulky look (after flexible liquid tight conduit is coming out of it), but I appreciate any and all comments or suggestions!
So you can't run wiring behind the wall, but you can screw into the wall? Like attaching the siding block?

Unclear why you would use flexible conduit if you are running the Cat6 along the siding like you show in the second photo. If you use the PFA130-E and the siding block, just calk the back where the Cat6 goes out to that block. There is plenty of room in that fixture for your connection. Make sure you use dielectric grease in the RJ45 connector and the watertight fitting that came with the camera. Then tape it. Personally, this is the option that I like.

hermaninthehood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So you can't run wiring behind the wall, but you can screw into the wall? Like attaching the siding block?

Unclear why you would use flexible conduit if you are running the Cat6 along the siding like you show in the second photo. If you use the PFA130-E and the siding block, just calk the back where the Cat6 goes out to that block. There is plenty of room in that fixture for your connection. Make sure you use dielectric grease in the RJ45 connector and the watertight fitting that came with the camera. Then tape it. Personally, this is the option that I like.
thanks for the notes!
technically no to screwing into the wall/siding, but i'm ok with it and no one would really know.
running wiring behind/in this wall would accomplish what/ or lead my cable where? (technically inside that wall is my neighbours)
behind that wall goes into neighbours unit. can't go through the roof floor/membrane at all.

i would usually use conduit out of PFA130-E to protect the cable, opposed to having it just open/exposed. but for this one its risk vs looks against running it along the siding.
without conduit it will be exposed for that very short length and i've thought about corner duct or similar raceway...

yes to grease and calk/seal around/out of block!

Last edited:

hermaninthehood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok, ok. :)
so i realize this might just be personal preference - maybe i'll also ask what people prefer - a) or b) - essentially horizontal vs vertical mount

a) 5442 and PFB204W OR b) 5442 and PFA130-E
IMG_5226.jpgIMG_5225.jpg

Last edited:

Jay Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What does the final install look like ??

Pictures ?

how has it treated you ??

Reaction score
if you install the PFB, do realize you can never angle the camera above 90 degrees above horizon.
if you install the PFA, you can angle the camera up or down where ever you like.
I like the PFA way. Less real estate, less volume of space, less bulky looking. These 5442 turrets do not have an issue with rain/snow. Still running my 5231's with some PFA's or directly attached to walls. I would use the PFB if in direct line of sight to sunlight to give that sunlight glare hood protection, or serious weather (blizzard snow/torrential rain).
What is this patio camera for? Security to see if anyone hops what looks like a 12 story wall? Or to keep an eye out for party folks living it up on patio? :)
For goodness sake...do not loose those little screws to connect the PFA/PFB to camera. Mine magically disappear. I end up having to use self tapping screws at times.