IP camera dhcp or static addresses

mp1li

n3wb
Reaction score
Have an isolated system with Honeywell 35 series nvr unit and 27 Honeywell IP cameras. Using a Dlink des-1018 poe switch as well. local nvr ip is 192.168..x.x and the Ip scheme for the nvr poe ip settings is 167.206.10.x and the majority of the cameras are using static ips on that scheme with no issues. Here is the issue. I have a few cameras that are pulling 167.206.167.x as the ip addresses and are not connecting as they are on a different subnet.
Where is the different ip scheme being assigned from? I can connect to that camera directly through the browser but the nvr is not making the connection to those cameras with the different ip addresses. I can't figure out why it is not assigning the 167.206.10.x ip's.

I have the same setup at multiple locations and all the cameras are pulling the correct ip scheme even without static ip being assigned at the camera side.
poe switch is connected to lan port on nvr, some cameras in the poe switch and some plugged into back of nvr poe ports. wan port of nvr to router. setup in two separate buildings connected by cat 6 cable.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
poe switch is connected to lan port on nvr, some cameras in the poe switch and some plugged into back of nvr poe ports. wan port of nvr to router. setup in two separate buildings connected by cat 6 cable.
If you're up to it, a schematic of the cams-POE NVR-POE Switch-router EXACT interconnection would help, be sure to show which devices are static, which are DHCP. Even hand-drawn would help.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Have an isolated system with Honeywell 35 series nvr unit and 27 Honeywell IP cameras. Using a Dlink des-1018 poe switch as well. local nvr ip is 192.168..x.x and the Ip scheme for the nvr poe ip settings is 167.206.10.x and the majority of the cameras are using static ips on that scheme with no issues. Here is the issue. I have a few cameras that are pulling 167.206.167.x as the ip addresses and are not connecting as they are on a different subnet.
Where is the different ip scheme being assigned from? I can connect to that camera directly through the browser but the nvr is not making the connection to those cameras with the different ip addresses. I can't figure out why it is not assigning the 167.206.10.x ip's.

I have the same setup at multiple locations and all the cameras are pulling the correct ip scheme even without static ip being assigned at the camera side.
Try to login to the web interface of the cameras. Verify they are not currently set to static IP's

mp1li

n3wb
Reaction score
I will work on a diagram with details, as for web interface, I can connect to the camera. The ones that are pulling the strange IP's don't allow me to change them to static in the correct range. They change but they revert back.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I will work on a diagram with details, as for web interface, I can connect to the camera. The ones that are pulling the strange IP's don't allow me to change them to static in the correct range. They change but they revert back.
Have you tried a factory reset on one of the problem cameras to see what affect it has on the issue?

jec6613

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Where is the different ip scheme being assigned from?
From Altice (formerly Cablevision). The big question is why in the heck are you using publicly routable IPs for your cameras? Somewhere, you have a route crossed.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
167.XXX.XX.X is not a private IP address. As such, none of your local devices should be set to any address in this range or trying to use this subnet for DHCP purposed. If your NVR is set up to use an IP address in this subnet, it needs to be changed immediately.

If a device doesn't receive a ip address from a DHCP server, and does not have a static address assigned, it will assign itself an address in the 169.254.0.0/16 range. If you see addresses on the network in this range it is because those devices cannot reach a DHCP server.