IPC-HDW5231R-ZE night blur

morrisky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Recently got a IPC-HDW5231R-ZE which I'm running in driveway in forced color mode at night. The picture looks great but I'm getting motion blur which would make it difficult to identify faces at night. I've also tested B/W mode and still get the blur. The garage lights are on but the image is pretty noisy and needs noise reduction on and set to 5 for a good picture. I tried increasing the strength of the garage lights but it didn't seem to help too much. Exposure is currently set to Manual with shutter of 1/30 and Gain of 0 ~ 80.

I'm thinking to improve the picture and reduce the motion blur I'll need additional lighting so I'm most likely looking at needing some sort of flood light or switching to B/W mode and adding a strong external IR light.

What have you all found works best for getting the best night images without motion blur?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Shutter speed is what affects motion blur, and 1/30 is actually pretty slow. Speed that up. Try 1/60 (0-16 ms if you want to use the shutter priority mode) or 1/120 (about 0-8 ms in shutter priority). If a sufficiently fast shutter speed makes it too dark, that is when you know you need more light.

Strong 3D noise reduction or WDR can also cause the appearance of motion blur.

morrisky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, does get better with a faster shutter but the image gets too dark and noisy so obviously need some extra light. Now just to decide whether to stick with color or go with IR so I don't cause too much light pollution lol.