IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 Signal Loss Issues

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi. While trying to troubleshoot my LPR motion issues I have noticed I am getting a lot of signal loss counts in Blue Iris for my LPR cameras which are the 5231 Z12 cameras. The signal loss counts only occur at night time after being switched to night profile and the normal image is black. The bitrate drops to like 25 kB/s and the signal loss counts increase. This happens with 3 cameras, 3 different cable pulls, 2 different physical sites, 2 different switches, 2 different BI servers. The only common denominator is the cameras and the user (me). The cameras were all purchased recently from Andy at the same time so although I doubt there is a hardware problem if there is I need to get it figured out before im SOL.

Does anybody else have this problem? What can be causing it? My turrets do not do it even when forced to produce a black image.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi. While trying to troubleshoot my LPR motion issues I have noticed I am getting a lot of signal loss counts in Blue Iris for my LPR cameras which are the 5231 Z12 cameras. The signal loss counts only occur at night time after being switched to night profile and the normal image is black. The bitrate drops to like 25 kB/s and the signal loss counts increase. This happens with 3 cameras, 3 different cable pulls, 2 different physical sites, 2 different switches, 2 different BI servers. The only common denominator is the cameras and the user (me). The cameras were all purchased recently from Andy at the same time so although I doubt there is a hardware problem if there is I need to get it figured out before im SOL.

Does anybody else have this problem? What can be causing it? My turrets do not do it even when forced to produce a black image.
How are you powering? What exact cable are you using? Did you use the 568B standard to crimp?

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How are you powering? What exact cable are you using? Did you use the 568B standard to crimp?
All cameras are powered by Netgear PoE switches. Using Cat5e UTP cable dont remeber the brand but its solid copper. Yes using 568B standard. This goes for cams. Are you thinking something along the lines of faulty power since the Z12s have 4 IRs?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
All cameras are powered by Netgear PoE switches. Using Cat5e UTP cable dont remeber the brand but its solid copper. Yes using 568B standard. This goes for cams. Are you thinking something along the lines of faulty power since the Z12s have 4 IRs?

99 out of 100 times its a cable issue, either a bad crimp or bad cable...how long is your run?
Take one camera down, attached with a premade patch cable and test...

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
99 out of 100 times its a cable issue, either a bad crimp or bad cable...how long is your run?
Take one camera down, attached with a premade patch cable and test...
I understand. I will do as you suggest but the runs pass with a cable tester. The cams that have problems are run legths 20', 60, and roughly 100'. I now have a total of 10 cams and the only 3 that exhibit this issue are the Z12s. What are the power requirements of Z12 with IR on? I will remote in and turn off IR on one of the cams tonight as a test

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Specs for
IPC-HFW5231E-Z12
2MP WDR IR Bullet Network Camera

Electrical
Power Supply ( needed )
DC12V, PoE (802.3af)(Class 0)
Power Consumption
<11.5W

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I understand. I will do as you suggest but the runs pass with a cable tester. The cams that have problems are run legths 20', 60, and roughly 100'. I now have a total of 10 cams and the only 3 that exhibit this issue are the Z12s. What are the power requirements of Z12 with IR on? I will remote in and turn off IR on one of the cams tonight as a test

cable tester simply checks for continuity...virtually useless...

awahl101

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
On you servers run this. Ping Monitor - Free Network Ping Monitoring Tool

Have it monitor those cameras for drops and increase in latency, it will guide you through it.

You can then see a graph of packetloss etc.

2 different switches, are they the same netgear switch ? Ive used the cheap 8 port ones that have 4 ports of poe with 3 cameras on them but they all were ones with no ir.

What models, its possible once the irs come on there isnt enough power? I would doubt it but worth a thought.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What models, its possible once the irs come on there isnt enough power? I would doubt it but worth a thought.
@achalmersman I suspect this is a possible issue - try to keep all the cameras in color mode - that should keep the power usage the same - if the problem disappears then I would check how many watts the switch can provide.

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I disabled IR on the cameras and no change. Still receiving signal loss counts which did not occur during the daytime. So that rules out IR causing the issue.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I disabled IR on the cameras and no change. Still receiving signal loss counts which did not occur during the daytime. So that rules out IR causing the issue.
as others suggested try pinging the camera to see if it drops...or record continuously and see if there is a gap...it is possible that BI is erroneously reporting signal loss..

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
as others suggested try pinging the camera to see if it drops...or record continuously and see if there is a gap...it is possible that BI is erroneously reporting signal loss..
Ok will do that next. But for those interested it is a JGS516PE switch which has 15w per port total power available 85 watts. I have 4 starlight and a Ubiquity AP. I'm nowhere near the PoE limit. The other switch powering the other LPR exhibiting the same issue at another location is a JGS524PE which allows for 100w total. I have 6 starlights on it so again not pushing it. The second installation is getting ready to be swapped with a Cisco 2960-S 48 port PoE+ switch with 740w of total available power though.

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok so the ping test showed no interruptions except for the scheduled weekly reboot on the camera at 4:08am. And BI still showed hundreds of signal loss events in the log overnight. Now that we are back to daytime the signal loss counter is not increasing. So is it safe to assume this is false reporting in the BI log? .200 and .201 are the LPRs

Attachments

awahl101

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok will do that next. But for those interested it is a JGS516PE switch which has 15w per port total power available 85 watts. I have 4 starlight and a Ubiquity AP. I'm nowhere near the PoE limit. The other switch powering the other LPR exhibiting the same issue at another location is a JGS524PE which allows for 100w total. I have 6 starlights on it so again not pushing it. The second installation is getting ready to be swapped with a Cisco 2960-S 48 port PoE+ switch with 740w of total available power though.
We run 2 524pe's at one job, never had an issue from it regarding poe .

Not power related.

Good old cisco catalyst, love those things

But i would monitor with the utility i sent you, it will tell you if its actually dropping or not. Make sure to change the ping interval to 1 for this test as you want to test more frequently.

Beat me to it haha

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
We run 2 524pe's at one job, never had an issue from it regarding poe .

Not power related.

Good old cisco catalyst, love those things

But i would monitor with the utility i sent you, it will tell you if its actually dropping or not. Make sure to change the ping interval to 1 for this test as you want to test more frequently.

We were posting at the same time lol. Look above for results to your test

awahl101

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
We were posting at the same time lol. Look above for results to your test

Yeah haha thats funny. I tried expanding it on my phone but it looks super low res.

What was the check frequency on that? I dont recall what it defaults to

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah haha thats funny. I tried expanding it on my phone but it looks super low res.

What was the check frequency on that? I dont recall what it defaults to

Like you said it defaulted higher but I had lowered it to 1.

awahl101

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Like you said it defaulted higher but I had lowered it to 1.

Ohh perfect. So looks like blue iris.

Wonder if any of the intial buffer settings etc have any affect. I want to look at something on mine