IR stopped working but I can still see it on?

TheWhiteKnight

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My DS-2CD2T42WD-I5 suddenly went dark on me in blue iris. I can still see a little bit of details but i'm almost certain the IR stopped working because it was fine all day until the sun began to set yet I can still see both red "snake eyes" on when I go out and look at it.

I've tried power cycling the switch and Blue Iris to no avail. How do I diagnose the issue?

TheWhiteKnight

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hmm.. I rebooted the device through the main settings page now instead of BI and it fixed it...what's going on? I guess restarting device through BI isn't a hard reset rather than a soft one? Is my camera crapping out on me or is this normal?

I'll admit I had a power fluctuation the other day and occasional outages from the breaker tripping and it is on a power strip with a large appliance. I'm going to separate all the electronics from the appliance to a high quality surge protector now but this could be related.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm.. I rebooted the device through the main settings page now instead of BI and it fixed it...what's going on? I guess restarting device through BI isn't a hard reset rather than a soft one? Is my camera crapping out on me or is this normal?

I'll admit I had a power fluctuation the other day and occasional outages from the breaker tripping and it is on a power strip with a large appliance. I'm going to separate all the electronics from the appliance to a high quality surge protector now but this could be related.
blue iris does not power cycle or restart the camera ...

TheWhiteKnight

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I power cycled the switch not BI and i'm not a pro how am I supposed to know a feature that says "Restart Camera" in BI doesn't actually do that?

My main question is if this is normal or a sign that my camera is on its last leg?

TheWhiteKnight

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well I think you're right about the cut filter. It happened again today except now a hard reset will not resolve the issue. Is this repairable or is it time to replace? Barely lasted me 6 months..

TheWhiteKnight

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
And now it suddenly works again without me doing anything? The hard reset must be a slow solution. Tomorrow i'm going to see if it resolves itself on its own and if not I'll time how long until it starts working again after the hard reset.

Are there any potential settings conflicts that could be causing this?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
And now it suddenly works again without me doing anything? The hard reset must be a slow solution. Tomorrow i'm going to see if it resolves itself on its own and if not I'll time how long until it starts working again after the hard reset.

Are there any potential settings conflicts that could be causing this?
when this happens try hitting the camera to move the filter. How are you powering the camera?

TheWhiteKnight

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's powered over a cat5e ethernet to a 4 port unmanaged switch if that's what you mean? I'll try the physical force/assistance tonight!

TheWhiteKnight

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So today I left it alone completely and there was about an hour after sunset that the image was almost completely dark but I left it alone and then it started working properly on its own for the first time.

I think when I was doing the hard resets was right around the time it was going to work on its own. A setting or schedule I set must be causing this issue. The only thing I can remember enabling was scheduled switching inside the main settings page to allow disabling the gain during the day to reduce what I thought was a ton of noise. There must have been a conflict with the common Day/Night switch settings because that was still set on Auto. I changed it to scheduled-switch to match the image settings schedule. I believe the IR cut filter wasn't stuck rather the Gain was remaining reduced to 0. I've set both on the same time frame and that will probably resolve it if not I will just put it all back to auto and deal with the day time "noise".

TheWhiteKnight

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Culprit confirmed. "Sync with computer time" was disabled so despite the correct time zone, scheduling in BI, scheduled switch for image settings and day/night switch all being in sync, the manual time sync was still off by an hour without that feature enabled therefore causing an hour delay in the day/night IR switch.

Silly mistake but I feel like I now know the Hikvision GUI like the back of my hand.