Is blocking the internet secure enough?

EDCK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Recently setup a VLAN for my IP cameras so far all i've done is block the internet is that secure enough or should i also block them from accessing my local stuff, my router NAS etc?

Does anyone know how to do that in Unifi with the firewall rules? Maybe the LAN out option..I have watched many vids on vlans but it seems all situations are different.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Block them from connecting to the internet and putting them on their own VLAN is normally sufficient. You can block inter vlan routing for that vlan and see if you can still access them. That would further insulate that vlan from the rest of your network.

EDCK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Block them from connecting to the internet and putting them on their own VLAN is normally sufficient. You can block inter vlan routing for that vlan and see if you can still access them. That would further insulate that vlan from the rest of your network.
I'm still trying figure out this vlan stuff, i only have a few cameras on the vlan at the moment along with my laptop to test the changes.

Before i was just blocking the cameras from the internet based on there IP which was simple and if they did get to my NAS or something they could do nothing with that info they got since they had no internet access.

That was my thinking anyway.