iVMS-4200 Doesn't See My Old or New Hikvision Cameras

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
On a temporary basis, to log in to the camera web GUI to check and change camera settings, you could connect your PC to an unused NVR PoE port, set the PC IP address to, say, 192.168.254.100 and point the browser at each camera IP address.
If you're unsure of the camera IP addresses, SADP will show them for you.
Ok, I am officially an idiot about this stuff since I don't know how to set the PC IP address at all and I don't know what you mean by "pointing the browser at each camera IP address". I really appreciate the help though. I will try to figure it out.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, I am officially an idiot about this stuff
It's just ignorance, we are all ignorant in so many areas. Ignorance=lack of knowledge. Which can be gained in places like this.
pointing the browser at each camera IP address
Just put the camera IP address in the browser address bar and press Return.
I don't know how to set the PC IP address
The detail varies with the version of Windows, but it's in the Network And Sharing Centre, Local Area Network, Properties, IPv4 properties.
Change from 'Obtain automatically ...' to that specific address.

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, true haha. I am learning slowly I guess. Ok, I can do the cameras I think and I'll try to change the PC IP address. Thanks!

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Maybe I should just try one question at a time. I also want to use iVMS since my SADP and the NVR GUI won't do anything.

So, how do I get my iVMS to see my NVR? It had been listing it as active but now it doesn't.

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My iVMS also lists ALL of my cameras now but it won't show any video from any camera.

How do I fix that problem?

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Finally, let me reiterate - my NVR and cameras are not on a LAN nor are they plugged into the internet. My system consists of Ethernet cables connected between the NVR PoE ports and the cameras. That's it.

Is that why I am having so much trouble?

I did it that way because I thought it would be much easier.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Finally, let me reiterate - my NVR and cameras are not on a LAN nor are they plugged into the internet. My system consists of Ethernet cables connected between the NVR PoE ports and the cameras. That's it.

Is that why I am having so much trouble?
That's fine - no problems with that if you just want the NVR to be isolated and just seen on a monitor.
But as you keep mentioning iVMS it does suggest that the NVR LAN interface is connected to your router/switch/LAN.

But to get to the bottom of the stream type issues - you should plug the PC into an unused NVR PoE port and go through the camera video configurations, make sure they are all correctly set as using h.264

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's fine - no problems with that if you just want the NVR to be isolated and just seen on a monitor.
But as you keep mentioning iVMS it does suggest that the NVR LAN interface is connected to your router/switch/LAN.

But to get to the bottom of the stream type issues - you should plug the PC into an unused NVR PoE port and go through the camera video configurations, make sure they are all correctly set as using h.264

Yeah, I just want to see the video on a monitor. And I have the iVMS on my laptop and then I plug my laptop into one of the NVR PoE ports to try and access the NVR (which is not found) and the camera settings (which I can do). And none of the old cameras are set to h.264 I don't think. Instead, they are set to VGA if I am stating it correctly (under the recording tab is the only place I find stream settings). And unfortunately, even thought the iVMS "sees" the new cameras, I can't get to their configuration settings for some reason.

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
And I managed to reset the laptop IP address (although I didn't enter in any DNS server address - if I even needed it) and then put each camera IP in the browser but unfortunately every time it timed out and nothing happened. But I wasn't connected to the internet if that makes any difference.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
But I wasn't connected to the internet if that makes any difference.
No, not relevant.
then put each camera IP in the browser but unfortunately every time it timed out and nothing happened.
What were the camera IP addresses? The default for the NVR PoE ports is 192.168.254.x
I'd speculate that if you didn't gain access via the browser, the PC IP address was not in the same address range as the cameras.
You can check the PC IP address at a command prompt ('Start | Run | Cmd ) with 'ipconfig /all'

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You're saying you're NVR is not connected to your network?
If it's just the NVR and camera connected to the POE ports then you'll not be able to connect to it via a browser or the mobile apps.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That presumably can't be the case as iVMS is mentioned a few times.
It's not clear though.
I have the iVMS loaded onto my laptop. Then I connect my laptop to my NVR by disconnecting one of the cameras from its PoE port and then plugging in my laptop to the empty PoE port.

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You're saying you're NVR is not connected to your network?
If it's just the NVR and camera connected to the POE ports then you'll not be able to connect to it via a browser or the mobile apps.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Correct. I have not connected it to my network yet. It's just the cameras connected to the NVR at this point. That's why I can't understand why the iVMS program can't see the NVR. It makes no sense to me but then again, much of this doesn't make sense to me.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That's why I can't understand why the iVMS program can't see the NVR.
Forget iVMS - it's not the right tool for what you need to do.
You just need browser access on your laptop, and SADP.
If you change your PC IP address to something like 192.168.254.100 and connect it to a spare NVR PoE port, you will be able to access the NVR web GUI on the address 192.168.254.1 (it's accessible there as well as via the LAN [if the LAN interface was connected]) and the cameras on the address that SADP shows them to be on.
Read again my post #2, see if it makes sense.

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, I tried it again but it still won't access the NVR via the address. It says "connection timed out". Do I need to enter in a preferred DNS address because I left that line blank.

Last edited:

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Forget iVMS - it's not the right tool for what you need to do.
You just need browser access on your laptop, and SADP.
If you change your PC IP address to something like 192.168.254.100 and connect it to a spare NVR PoE port, you will be able to access the NVR web GUI on the address 192.168.254.1 (it's accessible there as well as via the LAN [if the LAN interface was connected]) and the cameras on the address that SADP shows them to be on.
Read again my post #2, see if it makes sense.

I honestly believe I am cursed with this stuff! Because I don't think my SADP program is working correctly because it lists the 5 old cameras and the 2 new ones (even though I still have no video through them) but it DOES NOT LIST the NVR. The program also won't do anything else except EXPORT and MODIFY NETWORK PARAMETERS. And when I double click on the camera info, it opens a web browser but then gives me the error message "connection timed out" again. !&^@#%!^@#%%!@!

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is crazy!

So why can't the SADP program see my NVR?
Why are the IP addresses of my new cameras CONSTANTLY CHANGING in the NVR GUI? Is it because Plug and Play can't get passed the strong password I set up?
Why are the IP addresses of all of the cameras constantly changing in the SADP program?
Don't the cameras need STATIC IP addresses?

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I honestly believe I am cursed with this stuff! Because I don't think my SADP program is working correctly because it lists the 5 old cameras and the 2 new ones (even though I still have no video through them) but it DOES NOT LIST the NVR.
Post a screenshot of what SADP shows when the PC is connected to a spare NVR PoE port.
What does the VGA/HDMI interface show for the NVR network settings for the PoE interface and for the LAN interface?
Why are the IP addresses of all of the cameras constantly changing in the SADP program?
Gives some examples - you need to be more specific, some more actual facts.