Junction Boxes, Required or not?

Reaction score
Hi,

Hope everyone is doing well.

Concerning installation of IP Cameras, specifically a model like this:

Are Junction boxes required for an installation?
The installation will be PoE only, so only a Network Cable passes through.
Is it required, or recommended only?
The cost increases considerably when purchasing Junction Boxes.

As a secondary question.
Would a Dome camera like this require Junction Boxes as well, or isn't it mandatory?

The images per Google and Youtube seems to show that Junction Boxes aren't mandatory.

Thank you,
Have a good day and weekend.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

Hope everyone is doing well.

Concerning installation of IP Cameras, specifically a model like this:

Are Junction boxes required for an installation?
The installation will be PoE only, so only a Network Cable passes through.
Is it required, or recommended only?
The cost increases considerably when purchasing Junction Boxes.

As a secondary question.
Would a Dome camera like this require Junction Boxes as well, or isn't it mandatory?

The images per Google and Youtube seems to show that Junction Boxes aren't mandatory.

Thank you,
Have a good day and weekend.
Hi @SpaceIgniter

The cable connections have to be placed someplace, and leaving it exposed to the elements or vandals, is not what I prefer .. depending on the construction of the building sometimes you can place the cabling connections back into the walls or soffits.

Reaction score
Hi @SpaceIgniter

The cable connections have to be placed someplace, and leaving it exposed to the elements or vandals, is not what I prefer .. depending on the construction of the building sometimes you can place the cabling connections back into the walls or soffits.
Hi @mat200,

Thanks for the response. We will be using Outdoor Cat6, so that should help a bit against the elements etc.
Vandal protection will be a problem all round, but the buildings have physical security presence, which helps.

So just to clarify, Junction boxes are a nice to have, but not a requirement?

Thank you,

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Unless your cable will be coming from directly behind where you mount the cam and there is room for the pigtails for the first cam you've linked I would personally mount it on a junction box.

Just out of interest why have you selected/settled for those cams? There are plenty better available?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @mat200,

Thanks for the response. We will be using Outdoor Cat6, so that should help a bit against the elements etc.
Vandal protection will be a problem all round, but the buildings have physical security presence, which helps.

So just to clarify, Junction boxes are a nice to have, but not a requirement?

Thank you,
In general, I really like junction boxes if I can not push the cable connections back into the wall cavity or soffit of the house ..

For brick / concrete and surface mounted, I like conduit and junction boxes.

If you are going to run exposed cables and exposed connections, do lookup drip loops and di-electric gel

Reaction score
Unless your cable will be coming from directly behind where you mount the cam and there is room for the pigtails for the first cam you've linked I would personally mount it on a junction box.

Just out of interest why have you selected/settled for those cams? There are plenty better available?
It's mainly due to stock availability and cost.
We don't have a wide range to choose from, at decent pricing.
So taking the entire installation into account, per the cost, it is well worth it,
Those 2 cameras were just examples however We have others included as well.

Regarding the rain etc We'll do a simple protection for outdoor installs and see how it goes,

Thank you again for the responses,
Have a great weekend

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As others have said, if the actual connections will be exposed and you can't shove them back into the wall or soffit, then a junction box should be used.

Do not think the little "water proof" thing provided is actually water proof.

Use dielectric grease on the connection and self-fusing tape.

Reaction score
As others have said, if the actual connections will be exposed and you can't shove them back into the wall or soffit, then a junction box should be used.

Do not think the little "water proof" thing provided is actually water proof.

Use dielectric grease on the connection and self-fusing tape.
Thank you, I sincerely appreciate all the advice and tips.
I'm not an installer by any stretch, but we're doing this in-house.

I've got enough experience with the actual network/NVR/Cam configs, which is my main duty in this.

Thanks again,
Enjoy your weekend.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’ve had the “waterproof “ connections that come with the cams fail many times. PoF seems to be the grommets don’t make a good seal on thinner Ethernet.
As far as junction boxes, something not mentioned above; if using dome type cameras under a soffit, especially on a single story house consider the facia board overhang size. Might want to use a box as a spacer so you’re not illuminating the back of the facia and blinding yourself at night.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ve had the “waterproof “ connections that come with the cams fail many times. PoF seems to be the grommets don’t make a good seal on thinner Ethernet.
As far as junction boxes, something not mentioned above; if using dome type cameras under a soffit, especially on a single story house consider the facia board overhang size. Might want to use a box as a spacer so you’re not illuminating the back of the facia and blinding yourself at night.
This is a very good point and another reason why I use junction boxes even where I don’t strictly need one. That extra 1” or so is enough to lift the camera away from the wall and can alter the overall view you can obtain.