Linksys AC1200 router being used as an access point- what am I missing?

Reaction score
I am trying to use a old Linksys router as an access point wifi network.
It is on a closed network with no internet access.
I set it up in 'bridge mode' and assigned a static IP address.

This is going on a internal IP Camera network - and all the cameras are on 192.168.37.xx
so I setup the linksys in BRIDGE mode as:
IP: 192.168.37.100
Default gateway: 192.168.37.1
subnet: 255.255.255.0
DNS: 8.8.8.8

I can connect to the router thru my hardwired BI system at 192.168.37.100
I can see the new wifi SSID: IPCD
I can connect to the wifi SSID from a laptop
However when I am on the Wifi I cannot connect to anything on the same LAN (IE I cannot login into any of the cams).

Also none of the IP cameras can connect to the SSID: IPCD that I created. (Amcrest cams tested so far)

Any thoughts on this issue?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
i have an Asus that actually has an " AP mode" to select which was something i hadn't really seen as a feature on my older Linksys routers.....Of course I generally didn't use them that way. Until IPCAMTALK got in my veins.....
1685948997936.png

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I am trying to use a old Linksys router as an access point wifi network.
It is on a closed network with no internet access.
I set it up in 'bridge mode' and assigned a static IP address.

Any thoughts on this issue?
I don't think you want "bridge" mode. That is usually for creating a wireless connection between two wifi routers. You'll want "Access mode" or something similar. If there is no option for that, you just want the regular settings, but you'll need to turn off the DHCP server. Plug the device into the network using one of the LAN ports (most wifi routers have 4 LAN). Do not use the WAN network port.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 to what @looktall and @The Automation Guy said.

I might add, in addition to turning off/disabling DHCP, give the router a unique, static IP in the same subnet as your LAN but OUTSIDE of your acting router's DHCP pool.

Then, as previously stated, connect one of its LAN ports to your network, don't use its WAN port. It is now an AP and your LAN's functioning router performs the DHCP function and assigns IP's to DHCP (non-static) devices on your LAN.

Reaction score
I don't think you want "bridge" mode. That is usually for creating a wireless connection between two wifi routers. You'll want "Access mode" or something similar. If there is no option for that, you just want the regular settings, but you'll need to turn off the DHCP server. Plug the device into the network using one of the LAN ports (most wifi routers have 4 LAN). Do not use the WAN network port.
The articles online keep saying to use "Bridge Mode" cause Linksys dosent have AP mode. Setting a Linksys router as an access point | Vilfo

Reaction score
+1 to what @looktall and @The Automation Guy said.

I might add, in addition to turning off/disabling DHCP, give the router a unique, static IP in the same subnet as your LAN but OUTSIDE of your acting router's DHCP pool.

Then, as previously stated, connect one of its LAN ports to your network, don't use its WAN port. It is now an AP and your LAN's functioning router performs the DHCP function and assigns IP's to DHCP (non-static) devices on your LAN.
I am still new to this but since i am on a private network there is no 'router' in this case right? Can you explain?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am still new to this but since i am on a private network there is no 'router' in this case right? Can you explain?
No router needed if all devices are assigned unique, static IP's on the same subnet.

If that "old Linksys wireless router" is not at least wireless-N, then it may not work out that great speed-wise and bandwidth-wise. What specific model is it?

EDIT: never mind, I see it's an AC1200