Looking for a POE camera with better videos.

outdoorman

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a closed system running BI that runs cheap SV3C POE cameras.
I have set them up to record wildlife in the woods. One of them is around 25' up on a tree and pointed down to cover a large area. The images at night are pretty grainy and there is a lot of ghosting when any deer walk by. The goal is to cover this same area but have a better image quality. I have the camera recording at all times so it does not have to trigger when movement is detected.

I am looking for a bullet type camera in the $100-$150 range instead of the $45-$50 that I currently have. Any good options that would fit?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a closed system running BI that runs cheap SV3C POE cameras.
I have set them up to record wildlife in the woods. One of them is around 25' up on a tree and pointed down to cover a large area. The images at night are pretty grainy and there is a lot of ghosting when any deer walk by. The goal is to cover this same area but have a better image quality. I have the camera recording at all times so it does not have to trigger when movement is detected.

I am looking for a bullet type camera in the $100-$150 range instead of the $45-$50 that I currently have. Any good options that would fit?
OK-- you ran ethernet cable up a tree? Cool.

Others will chime in with more exact answers, but the number one thing NOT to do is to fall for the Megapixels-R-Better BS. What RULES the day in image quality is SENSOR quality, and a size matched up to an appropriate level of MP's. The standard around here are the Dahua 5442 cameras that are 4MP on a 1/1.8 sensor. There are a few "dual" cams that you might be interested in for this use-- they have dual lenses and 1/1.8 sensors and cover a 180 degree FOV with good image quality-- but that's a chunk more money than what you mentioned. Look for Annke (sp?) which is a Hikvision cam, and the Dahua version of that double.

outdoorman

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking for a bullet type camera because it mounts easier to a tree. Something like this?

Here are the specs of the existing camera I would like to replace:
Specification:
Resolution: 1280*720;
Sensor type: 1/4";
Lens: 1 Megapixel 3.6 mm;
Video compression: H.264;
View Angle: 62° ;
Power: DC 12V 1A;
Operating Temperature: -4℉ - 140℉;
Operating Humidity: 10%~90%, non-condensing;
Product Dimensions: 7.87 x 2.76 x 2.56 inches.
Alarm recording: Support Micro SD card and PC client linkage alarm recording;
Protocol: Support ONVIF 2.4(backward compatible) TCP/IP, HTTP, DHCP, DDNS, RTP,RTSP, PPPOE ,SMTP, NTP, UPNP.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That would be a decent cheaper one on the proper 2MP/sensor size ratio that is in your price range and for what you want to use it for.

outdoorman

n3wb
Reaction score

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 5442 will provide a much better image, but you specified a budget and this camera was slightly above that. The 2MP with a slower shutter since you are capturing wildlife will do fine though.

Depending on how you record (24/7 versus triggering on motion), the 2MP will do better at capturing wildlife based on motion as the 5442 has AI and is designed around human and vehicle detection. There is a thread here of people disappointed with the 5442 and its trouble in triggering for wildlife due to the AI algorithm.

Do keep in mind that EmpireTech is a small vendor and even though you are buying from Amazon, buying and returning impacts him more than it does Amazon...

Last edited: